Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmhusby

Question on Sovereign with blown engine

jmhusby
We have been looking for a Sovereign with power steering without much results in our our area. This morning a gentleman called and said he has one with a blown Triad. Supposed to get back to me with an asking price. My question is how hard is it to find the Commands and how hard to switch? Is there other tractors that use the Command that will work in the sovereign? And the last question--whats a fair price to pay for the tractor? Says the deck is in good condition. Thanks.???

RayS
late model decks around here go for $250.00 - $400.00 depending on condition and even more at a dealer. They cost around $1300.00 if you buy all the parts new. I have seen used power steering setups go for 650 dollars. Ebay and Craigslist have Commands all the time. I am cheap and wouldn`t give more than $400.00 just because it has power steering, if it didn`t I would not give more than $200.00 for it. Scrap steel price would be around 80 - 100 dollars if he took to scrap yard. Check the BGB, it should be fine for that new of a tractor.

1Litre
You may find them on some commercial mowers . Measure the crankshaft diameter . If your not placing a front PTO on you can use any of them. The adapter that is bolted on the flywheel will require a different screen on the flywheel. The air filter may need to be replaced as some have a HD remote assembly. A friend has put several in old cubs for pulling and he makes the mandrel bent tube header for them. Sounds really good but not for mowing. The 27 fuel injected is awesome engine.

DanD
I don't know what your budget is, but I would also consider one of Al Eden's kits to repower your Sovereign. I put one in my Sovereign a couple months ago and am very happy with it so far (I've mowed the lawn once!) It's not cheap, however it comes with everything you'll need to get your tractor going, down to the last nut and bolt. Remember that even the proper muffler for the Command in the Sovereign is over $200. Most mufflers on engines you'll find won't work properly (without modification anyway) because the exhaust comes out in the wrong spot. The list price for a new Prestige starts at $6399 without a deck, so my thought is that a late model Sovereign with power steering was worth the money for Al's kit. Good tractor, combined with brand new engine,should run many trouble free years..and you just never know the history of a used engine.