Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Breaking in the moldboard

larry8200

Old Brinley NOS 12" plow from B10Dave. Even though I dont know what I'm doing, it works like a charm. Expanded one of my neghbors gardens about 5' wider, made a nice test run. I have the plow going about 8" deep, throttle at about 1/2 to 3/4 in 2nd gear with the vsrible at fast. Pulled the plow fine. I wouldn't quite say "easy" but certainly wasn't working the tractor hard either. I did catch and break 1 cross link on the chains. The next is an all new garden out back here all in established turf, and hope to learn to set the coulter then. Some say it makes a big difference all the time, not just cutting sod. Pictures courtesy of the neighbors wife. Thanks!

Larry, It looks like the plow was making quick work of that soil. Nice looking soil. I wish mine looked like that. Rick......

great fun larry dOd. best to get new sod turned over and let sit and dry out. then run a disc or tiller thru it.

Lookin good Larry. The most important thing is to make SMALL adjustments as needed. "Sneak up" on the correct setting. The coulter is only needed for slitting sod. You will notice a different depth setting will be needed for busting new sod. I had to adjust the plow deeper to plunge into hard, clay-rich sod. Otherwise, the plow would just skip across the grass. The plow will "glide" through the soil. The landslide should be as level as possible with the grade. My plow is my most favoritest attachment.dOddOd

Thats my next implement. Maybe not the best time of year to be looking. The pop up, but have been out of practical driving range.... Sure looks like fun!!!