Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member, new Simplicity owner-need help!

greensled

Hello, I just became a new Simplicity owner last week. I stumbled on a what I assume to be mid-90's(?) Broadmoor 16H on craigslist. It was cheap, and all he said it needed was a keyswitch. Got it home, found out it's only got 254 hours on it, it DOES need a keyswitch, but only because the part where the key goes in is broken. The switch still functions as it should, just have to use a screwdriver. Here lies the problem: it will not crank. The starter relay IS getting power at the blue/white wire @ the signal terminal, but the relay is lacking ground. I've checked over all the interlock switches (operator presence, brake switch) and have continuity through them. I know the operator presence switch(seat) is working as the light on the dash changes when depressed. I'm "assuming" my interlock module is bad, but would love some advice and a schematic to verify my findings. Also, how can I find out what year this thing is? It's a 1692776. Thanks, and looking forward to learning more from here!

Do the newer simplicity's not have an interlock on the PTO? If the engine is original you should be able to look up it's manufacture date. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Everyone around Grand Rapids, MI wants 400-1000$ for one of the 90s broadmoors.

quote:
Originally posted by deezay
Do the newer simplicity's not have an interlock on the PTO? If the engine is original you should be able to look up it's manufacture date. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours? Everyone around Grand Rapids, MI wants 400-1000$ for one of the 90s broadmoors.
I have no reason to believe that the engine is anything but original. The machine is in really, really good shape, other than a missing headlight and a *little* bent up grill. I beat him up on price a little, I paid $200 for it. I think I could have had it cheaper as he immediately took my first offer. (was asking $250) I was going to flip it and put the money towards a ZTR but I'm thinking I may just keep it cuz it's so nice. Thanks Ray for posting that schematic! My neck is already sore from looking sideways! :D

I followed this thing till I got dizzy. I would make shure it is in nuetral and PTO off and ground the solenoid at the black yellow wire with a jumper and it should kick in. Then you know you have a good solenoid and starter. The ground for the whole thing is black wire from the 8 term plug (4)from the side where engine and headlights run forward . I would remove the screw and clean that ground term and tighten it up and see what you get.

quote:
Originally posted by 1Litre
I followed this thing till I got dizzy. I would make shure it is in nuetral and PTO off and ground the solenoid at the black yellow wire with a jumper and it should kick in. Then you know you have a good solenoid and starter. The ground for the whole thing is black wire from the 8 term plug (4)from the side where engine and headlights run forward . I would remove the screw and clean that ground term and tighten it up and see what you get.
I have verified the relay and the starter are operational. I can remove the black/yel wire at the GND terminal of the start relay, install a jumper wire from that terminal to battery (-) and it will start perfectly. Something on that circuit from the foot brake switch to the interlock module. I have yet to do any testing on that circuit (goes thru the neutral and PTO switches). That's tonights project.