Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4041 steering/spindle question

jverhaag

Hi crew I found the problem with the steering on my baby. It was one of those right there in your face problems that I over looked a couple of dozen times. If it had been a snake, Id' be full of holes. Anyway the nut on the top of the spindle is missing. Not only that the bolt is sheared off. I have included photos of the problem spindle and the other side for comparison. Is this repairable? Thanks guys (and ladies) ;)

That's likely just one of several problems with the lighter duty front spindle setup on these tractors. You could drill it out and tap it for a bolt. You could weld it solid as you won't really be out anything since the spindle is damaged and the crank arm is shot from the key way moving. With the load applied to these spindles drilling it would be a waste of time. Welding might hold but likely won't due to the shock loads that the steering takes. Only real fix is to replace the spindle and crank arm.

I would jump on this one if I were you. [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Simplicity-Powermax-9020-Front-Spindles-/230770532026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bafedeba#ht_875wt_1029[/url] John U

What John linked you to is a set of the later model spindles and caps that are much tougher than the older style like you have. The later model's are made to help eliminate the problem like you have. John is also right, that's a great deal on an upgrade.

Not sure on the spindle shaft size, but there are two different front axles. You might have to buy the front axle to change the spindles, but he has one of them for sale also.I've got one of each but have never had one apart so I can't say for sure but I would bet they are different.Bill

Can anyone address the spindle size difference between the two axles that Gomez1 mentioned? That is a great deal midnightpumpkin (thanks) but I'm not sure if I need the axle as well. I would be spending the money I saved to buy the hogs with. Choices, choices. Something to eat OR tractor parts:p

John, I looked up the axles and bushings for the 4040 and the late 9020. The bushings have different ID's and OD's, so it looks like you would have to buy the axle beam along with the spindles. On the other hand, if you take what you have now, drive the key in solidly with a hammer, and weld the spindle to the arm, chances are it will last for a very long time. The steering arm is cast iron, so you would have to find an experienced welder to do the job. As you said, choices! Good luck. John U