Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bgosh

food plots

bgosh
I am not sure if this the right place for this but I have some questions about the right equipment to use do work up ground for a food plot for deer.The soil is kind of sandy but it has some smaller brush,weeds and mall spruce tree's and roots from bigger spruce trees.I got my weed eater going and tried it last Thursday and boy does it work great. Last late spring I tried working up an area with my tiller on the big 10 but what that did was I had constantly had to pull roots from the tines and I should also say that the ground is wavy.Now what I mean is tiller works great going up but when I hit the top it isn't working and when I hit the bottom it is really digging in so only halve of it is done and a lot of weeds laying there.A farmer I will never be but I could use any help anyone could give me.Went on line and now this comes up.Chisel plow versus bott. plow? Chissel/plow versus a cultivator? And there was a mention of a sweep? ???8CThank You Stan

timflury
The deal is,,,,,,, with roots less than 6" below grade. They all gotta be pulled out. After that's done, I would plow under, then follow up with the tiller or cultivator. I would rather bounce a tiller over the roots to find them as opposed to hitting them with a bottom plow.

timflury
This is a bottom plow. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120812 A chisel plow is more like a cultivator. It's tough for me to post photos during the evenings.