Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My First Hydro

simple-kid

Hi Guys, I bought a 1978 simplicity 7012 Landlord with a 12hp Kohler yesterday. I got it running and I had to try it out, Soon after I broke the throttle cable. So today after school I went over to TSC and I got a universal throttle cable that I cut up to fit to the tractor. I can't stop driving around on it because it's so much fun! It has a little problem, The Motor knocks and it's pretty loud and it has a sundstrand transmission.:(!:(!XX(But it was a nice day here in Maine, So I drove the tractor out to the middle of my field and snapped some pics of it.sm01sm01sm01

Well most everyone I talk to say there trouble and that the vickers transmission is better, But maybe there not as bad as some people say hopefully. sm01

I always had better luck with the Sunstrand compared to the Vickers. But that's just my experience. Good luck. :)
quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
Well most everyone I talk to say there trouble and that the vickers transmission is better, But maybe there not as bad as some people say hopefully. sm01

Well hopefully that is true cause I have a Sunstrand in mine and I plan to keep my tractor for a while. Thanks

My two cents worth is that the Sundstrand is better. The vickers are more common to leak from the pintle shaft. Vickers are hands down smoother to operate. In my opinion though the sundstrand has much more power. It is really responsive and will not slip one bit. I have spun chains with the one in my 7016. I have two Sundstrands one in the 7016 and one in the 919 which has not been tried yet. I have one vickers in my hb112. Both are very great hydros and I don't think you'll have any problems with the sundstrand. The only downfall to it is the free wheel release. It only has a bypass valve type free wheel while the vickers has a lever that releases the gears.

The Sundstrands are the "better" hydro from a "problem" point of view - almost all of the Vickers leak some at the pintle shaft unless the pintle shaft was rebushed and that is very expensive. The Sundstrands don't have that problem. As to performance, they are both great; it just seem to some of us the Vickers are "smoother" in operation. It has to do with the control linkage which is different; an issue with the Sundstrand linkage "spring" cage and it sticking/binding sometimes.

Ok guys I guess it's safe to say that the Sundstrand is a better transmission. Thanks for the info.

Any luck narrowing down the "knocking noise"?...I have a 10hp Briggs that has some rod knock at high rpm's with no load. But as long as I throttle it down when not needed its been fine for 10 yrs now, not to say yours isnt more serious, and the 16hp's have a balance shaft that could be a problem too...Maybe? good luck Congrat's...thats a great tractor dOd

Well I haven't narrowed it down yet, It could be a few things. I called the guy back up that I bought it of and he said the the guys that rebuilt it said that the cylinder was damaged at the base. Also when I get the RPMs go up on it the knock gets really loud. I talked to some guys with these same motors and they say that there's sound like diesels HAHA, So I'm not gonna worry about it.