Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power steering question

I recently bought a power steering set-up on E-bay for my 7790 (my justification was that it would make it easy for my grandchildren to steer the tractor). I put it on today, carefully following Simplicity's instructions that I found on this forum (thanks Ray S)). The problem/question that I have is what keeps the cylinder and steering link from rotating when the short link from the steering section moves back and forth?? The cylinder/steering link assembly has a ball joint at the front wheel steering arm, so that end is free to move around and rotate. The base end (back end) of the cylinder has a stud that goes through a bushing on the anchor/mount under the step. The bushing is thicker than the mount and (when things are tightened up with the indicated washers) that end of the cylinder is also free to rotate. The cylinder rotating, with each change in direction of the steering wheel, causes slop in the steering. I could use an over size washer and mount the cylinder tight in its anchor, but that would put a bind on the cylinder when steering full right or full left or when the front axle tilts. Does one just live with the slop or what?? ]

Keep it under 40 miles per hour and you will be just fine! I believe the ability of the steering cylinder to rotate is by design and as you said, is necessary to allow for the pivoting movement of the axle. John U

I guess I'll just have to try it after I get some new hoses made. I had to shut if off quickly as one of the hoses sprung a leak when the cylinder rotated and the hose contacted the PTO (hadn't done the tie-wrapping yet)!!