Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 12hp knocking

simple-kid

Hi, Should I worry about my Kohler knocking. It doesn't seem like it's piston slap, It seem like the connecting rod is knocking. The motor is recently rebuilt and bored so that's why I'm not sure about whats going on. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

It's a kohler swap it for a briggs then use it as a boat anchor :D. No but seriously they have a tendency to throw rods very often so I would think it would be a rod knock. I would pull the head and push the piston side to side to make sure it's not piston slap. If the piston is tight I would pull the engine apart soon because knocking is only going to cause more damage. If it was recently rebuilt I wouldn't put it past the guy to not have torqued the rod cap bolts properly and they could have loosened up causing a knock. If the rod breaks it could destroy the whole block so I wouldn't run it for long without fixing.

If you could define "knock", (which is very hard to do on the net), it may just be noisy balance gears. In my opinion, the single cylinder Kohlers are noisy. And some do sound like they are going to grenade at any minute, but they just tend to sound like that. I have had three of these engines and they all seemed "noisy" to me, but I never had any issues with them blowing up. DO NOT take this as a green light and your engine will be just fine. You may very well have something not right internally. Just pointing out the tendency for these to be noisy and it may not be anything serious. Couldn't actually tell you without hearing it. Having been recently rebuilt, if it was done correctly, it should certainly not be piston slap. Again, if it was rebuilt correctly. JMHO

Was it a personal rebuild or a shop? If it is a shop rebuild I would ask the rebuilder to look at it again before digging too far(It can void warranty potential).

Well I bought my 7012 with this Kohler in it and the guy I bought it of said that it was rebuilt at Reeds Service Shop in Oxford Maine, But I don't think they will warranty the motor anyways. The knocking sounds like other Kohler's I have heard. When I rev the motor up the knocking gets quit loud and thats when I turn the mowing deck on so that I can't here it that much.sm01sm01

Would it be a Knock or a Ping? Ping being ignition timing. Not sure on K engines but I know on quite a few old briggs I have heard loud valve return springs.

preignition but sounds much like knock... points set correctly? knock or tick?....valves need adjust? these can both cause "knock" noise and both are easy to check and adjust