Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

welded frame near bgb

tobski

I Dont know what I'll do with this thing, but I'm glad I'm not trying to fix it for right now. I bought it for some parts for my current project, just thought I would post it to test out my picture resizing capabilities.
[img][/img]

[img]/club2/attach/tobski/IMG_1764.JPG[/img]

Serial Numbers are 004941 I believe, I havent tried to search which year this is, pretty sure its a landlord 101,

Well, 35Kb is well under the 100Kb limit. Current resolution is 250x187 pixels. Try "IrfanView". FREE HERE = http://www.irfanview.com/ A resolution of 640x480 often works, if not try 512x384, or similar numbers - Irfanview will fill in the 2nd dimension for you, so you can use any number, when set to "preserve aspect ratio". Your pix can almost fill the screen and be far more detailed. IV does lots more tricks too. (batch re-size, batch rename, screenshots, slideshows, photo edits, plug-ins, etc.) Always work on copies of the originals, in a new folder, and clean up later, if needed.

Looks like the BGB is fine, as long as it isn't sloppy. They welded the frame, where it typically cracks in front of the BGB. I've had several cracked there, but like to do my welds on the inside to keep things looking clean.

My 314 LL did that a couple years ago but I undercut it and welded, smoothing it off after. Some people need to get a grinder...

quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
My 314 LL did that a couple years ago but I undercut it and welded, smoothing it off after. Some people need to get a grinder...
...AND, learn hos to use it! I've seen some nasty grinder jobs too. sm00

Yeah:D..I havnt seen a frame welded to a gearbox YET.. But I have seen a couple of differential hubs welded to the axlesXX(

you bring up a good point with those pics: For those of you with experience with cracked frames like that...what do you do to make sure it doesn't happen again? Just weld it up? Weld in angle braces to the inside? IDK? Everyone I've had in the family was cracked at one point like that too. Except the B-1, but my uncle extended its frame to fit a larger deck under it, so maybe his mods prevented it from breaking there...

In my opinion, a good repair, properly preped, clamped and welded with a good quality weld will be as strong and proper as it came from the factory. A good quality weld repair can certainly be as good or better than the original.

My 64 was repaired in the same area, though I've heard of others with the frame issue, that 64 has been the only one that had an issue with the frame in that area. It had reenforcement plates welded on both sides of the frame. It was never an issue for me the near 10 years that I owned that tractor.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/007.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/008.JPG[/img]

• 1 month later...
my 64 landlord has the crack on the frame in the same spot and we welded it up and the axle tube has a crack we welded

In my opinion, adding brace plates would be excessive unless it had to be used for a loader. The welded surface area of the chassis metal in that zone is thick enough as built, since it did last almost 50 yrs;)