Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steveo358

Magnum 18 oil problem

steveo358
Hi, I was tilling MIL's garden this afternoon, when all of a sudden smoke starts rolling out front of 7117. I lifted the hood to see oil all over the top of the engine. It looks like it came out from flywheel side of engine, but not sure. I shut it down fast, hoping for minemal damage. The engine never sounded any different while running. Anyone ever run into this problem on the m-18 magnum, or the kt engines>? I guess it could be the seal, but it sure looks as if the seal may have come out, the way it dumped with no warning whatsoever. Thank you , Steve

Brettw
Sounds like a crank seal. They can and do blow out, but the reason for that might very well be a failed breather. The old breathers (located under one side of the valve covers) had a rubber "mushroom" check valve. They are know to finally fail and build up crank case pressure and blow out a seal. There is a new updated reed version check valve (about $15-20 bux). If you do have a blown out seal, make sure to check this. You would not be a happy camper if you pull the engine, the tin, the flywheel and all related parts, replaced the seal, put it all back together only to blow a seal again. The breather valve cover is easy to identify. A hose comes from the cover to the air filter assembly.

Brettw
I do not have a part #. But my Sim dealer was able to identify it right away and had one in stock. KT or Magnums should be the same. If I have some time I will try to get the info from them today. Just so we are clear: I am not saying your valve / breather plate is bad, I am saying it could be and to check it before all of the work goes in, only to have a failure again.

briggs9498
Thank you for the part number Brett. I have a KT19 that was "smoking" a lot according to the last owner. He pulled the engine and took it to a dealer. They said it would need to be bored and new pistons put in. Well they lied to him because the cylinders, pistons, and rings look good. There was a lot of oil near the breather so I'm suspecting it was getting a lot of blow-by. I ordered all new gaskets, rings to be safe, and valve seals which I think are most of the corporate for vacuum leak. I wanted to replace the breather to ensure that none of my new gaskets fail.