Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Tilling with Hydro Lift

bowhunt4life
Okay this may be a stupid question but I just have to ask. I tilled with my Big Ten and Hydrolift for the first time a week or so ago and it went well, I think. My question is when I am tilling should I have the lift locked in "float" in the down position? I got to thinking if I hit a rock and it wants to jump what will happen if I am just tilling along? Thanks, Chris

RickS
I know Kent replaced his rod with a much heavier one. Maybe Kent will jump in to let us know the dimensions of it. I believe he picked up the rod from the maker of the Johnny Bucket. Rick.........

timflury
I've been lucky, so far. There aren't many stones left in my 12'x20'garden. When I do hit one, the tiller does lift a little. Once I get my Hi Lo on, I think I'll be using float a lot more.

Kent
quote:
Originally posted by RickS
I know Kent replaced his rod with a much heavier one. Maybe Kent will jump in to let us know the dimensions of it. I believe he picked up the rod from the maker of the Johnny Bucket. Rick.........
Mine is 9/16 tempered steel, instead of the generic 1/2 cold-rolled steel.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by bowhunt4life
I was pondering making a cable and just leaving it at that. Does the lift have to have a rod or can I get away with making a cable?
I think I would go for the chain bit as you might run into problems at the ram end.