Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar education needed...

SmilinSam

Being pretty much Sunstar illiterate, I'm tryin to learn a few things:D I understand Sunstars had three types of engines. Single cylinder Magnums, Twin cylinder Magnums and twin Cylinder Commands. Are the engine mounts different for all three types? If the Sunstar is not equipped with the half circle oil cooler, is there anything working to keep the transmission cool? Is the oil cooler mentioned above, basically like the one on the older Power Max's, where it basically is preheating the air going into the engine? On the manual steer Sunstars, whats the main points to deal with in taking up play in the system? Were all the tillers for Sunstars shaft driven using a 3 point and rear splined PTO gearbox setup? guess that will do for now.. Thanks

Sam, There were single cyl magnums, twin cyl mags, Briggs 18 Vangards, 20 hp Commands. The 18 Vangards and Commands the frame was changed to mount the new series engines. When we did the sunstar repower kits, we got the frame drawings from the factory and made an adapter mount to change the early frame to the late style. We still make these. These change the frame to the late style for the Vangard and Command. The Vangard needs another adapter plate which we sell. We were doing a 20 hp Command repower kit as well as a 25 hp kit. With the new tier 4 emissions requirements, a number of engines have been killed. Our 25 hp spec is gone now, so presently we only do the 20hp. If we go to a 27 hp, we will have to run the complete Kohler temp run to be factory certified, as the largest engine we have temp'd in this tractor is the 25. We are looking at the FI engines for the John Deeres, but the high pressure fuel pump real estate is an issue. The manual steer tractors have steering gears that are NLA. I looked into having some made. Need to order 100 to even get a price that is liveable, not reasonable. I believe all of the tillers are 3 point and must have the rear PTO. If there is no oil cooler, I would expect it to be a low hp tractor. These hydros need some extra cooling with the higher hp engines. Kohler has specs on how close they can be to the blower and the temp rise in the cooling air that is allowed. When you get into repower if you want Kohler support AND you want them to warranty the engines used in your product, you must live by their standards. Al Eden

Al, Right now the tractor sitting here has a 14 Magnum single in it with a broke rod. Looking at my engine options, and I have several possibilities right now. Given you have a adaptor plate for the newer stuff, that helps broaden the choices. If I wanted tp replace the M14 with a M18 twin are there any engine mount differences between the twin and the single mount setup? I take it additional transmission cooling isnt needed with the Magnum single? I asked about the tranny cooler, because I just tore apart a Deere 332 Diesel for parts and noticed that those dont have any tranny cooler, and worse yet no air flow over the vanes on the pump. Deere even placed a insulated mat over the pump under the fuel tank to block off the front of the tractor tunnel from the back. the effect with a little fuel spillage is to cake the pump fins with dirt. Not a good bit of engineering in my opinion. I notice that on the Sunstar that there is at least air space around the tranny pump for air to circulate, just nothing to force air over the pump. As to the steering, I have all the stuff to mount power steering except the cylinder and column. Sounds like it may be better to just buy those used rather than monkey with a worn manual setup. One other history related question. Were the single cylinder Sunstars meant to replace the Soveriegns? If I remember right, didnt they try to discontinue the Soveriegn in about the time they came out with the Sunstar?

quote:
I notice that on the Sunstar that there is at least air space around the tranny pump for air to circulate, just nothing to force air over the pump.
IIRC, the Sunstar singles had a fan on the hydro driveshaft to cool the Sundstrand.

Carl, I found the fan on the driveshaft. Couldnt see it from the back. Got the front of the tractor tore down now and the engine out. The tractor side panels say 18, but its a M14 single in it. Model 1691357 Serial # 001002 ( never had a tractor with that low a number before)

Hi, Only the early tractors accept the M engines. The late frames are needed for Commands and with another adapter Vangards. Our kits come with a new driveshaft, drive shaft seals, throttle, choke cables, wiring changes, electric clutch, PTO belts, and pto pulley. Tin work to meet the cooling changes, hardware oil drain valve, oil drain hose, fuel line etc. Al Eden