Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers 830 Sprinter

shovelhead

Can anyone lead me to some info on this mower? I can't seem to find any. Thought this looked like a good deal. [url][/url]http://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/2936885358.html

Cute, but I can't recall if that mower uses a gear tranny or the friction cone or friction disc. If it has the friction cone tranny, run away as fast as you can. If it has the gear drive then make him an offer.

I think what he means is he whats only phone calls or text. I finaly found specs after xreferance from a 3108. Price is high but it sure looks like a clean orginal Allis. Didn't know if anybody had one or knew how they mowed. Was thinking it would make a good little mower for my brother,..he has a small yard and would like to have a Allis mower. Thanks guys, Dennis

Dave,..I just looked at manual again and it looks to have a gear box trans. It is a 8hp instead of 10hp and it looks to have 26 or 30 inch deck instead of the 38 stated. PDF says 36 was as big as they went and most likely on the 10 hp models.

If that's a single 30" blade, I would stay away from it. They are poor perfomer's in heavy grass. as opposed to 32" or 36" three blade. Toss in a bagger and it really is slow going. My son had the Simlicity version with a bagger. He could do fine on every third day cutting. After that it was the Broadmoor with three blades no bagger. Start with $200. It's real easy to work up. It did have a Pereless chain drive three speed.

This happens to be an Allis , but he sister Simplicity can be bought for way less, every day, around here. If it is mint and perfectly functional, maybe half that price? I would look at other options, Broadmoor, other potentials. That is specifically a riding lawn mower and nothing else. True lawn tractors have more functionality and a true garden tractor has more functionality still. Ask us all about options. Before you know it you will have a 4x4 monster diesel you could farm 1000 acres with. :D