Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-210 10hp Briggs rebuild

WaterlooBoy2HP

My engine is stripped down to the bare block ( it's naked ). I went and ordered parts today at my local parts place and I was kind of suprised at how expensive it is with me doing all the work. I spent approx. $180.00 for 2 new valves, set of rings, conn.rod, points condenser, new armature, exhaust valve guide bushing and I still need to get the exhaust valve guide bushing installed and the seats cut,etc.. My point is that sometimes a price on a good running engine is cheaper than rebuilding. But, hopefully when I am done this engine will last a long time especially if I maintain it properly. The tractor is nothing without the engine so I figured I would start here.

I noticed no piston was in your new parts list. I rebuilt my 23-d and did all included in a normal rebuild but used the same piston which was in spec. (low limit) Engine runs fine but it does smoke mildly until it warms up. Next time will be a bore job and a .010 over piston.

The cylinder bore is within specs and the piston is in decent shape so I am just going to hone the cylinder. The engine ran well before I took it apart. The reason I am doing so is because when I got it, the engine had a stuck exhaust valve. When I had the head off I noticed that the tops of the valves were kind of worn out or disintegrating. Because of this and it's age I decided to go through entire motor. I am glad I did so because the cooling fins were almost completely plugged up with stuff from critters.