Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Watch those fuel filters!

GrincheyOne

It's been three years since I bought my 1988 4212, and I have had nothing but grief with the carb setup, even after purchasing a brand new carb. The engine would surge once it warmed up (Vertical shaft 12HP I/C. Since, the "Field Queen" sat in a field for a year or so. The first thing I did after cleaning the carb, and tank; was to install a fuel shutoff, new fuel line, and a fuel filter (from Wal-Mart). Today I replaced the fuel line (eliminating the filter), and She finally settled down. YEA!

[img][/img]
This is my mowing (36" does great job), and worker ride, until I finish the refurbish of my 1968 Landlord 2110 (see Show and Tell). Wayne

Some filters say whether they are for applications with a fuel pump or for applications with gravity flow only. Perhaps that had something to do with your problem.

There was no specification either way. It was sold in a blister pack in the garden section, along with lots of other generic parts and accessories. Off to the dealer, when I can get a ride during his limited hours. I'm just glad to have the 4212 running again. Thanks for the reply Wayne

Replacing the generic fuel filter with the red, for gravity feed systems, Briggs filter in my 64 LL took right care of my intermittant fuel issues. Had to pull the line to "bleed" the system every time it quit.

the red fuel filter from briggs are for the gravity feed systems. the paper element(no matter who makes them) are for fuel pump systems only. also check to see if your line is the permeated type, it breaks down quicker and puts junk in your carb. the non perm. type is better and lasts longer. just a fyi for everyone. hope its of some use.