Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler to Briggs conversion

GWGAllisfan

I have a 7112, with a Kohler engine. I hope to convert to a 16HP briggs I have. I know the ignition is different, magneto versus coil. For the wiring, what do I have to do to convert? new switch? There quite few wires under the dash on this one, not as simple as the FDT's I'm used to messing with. I'm a little iffy on the wisdom of this change as the Briggs has a 3 amp AC alternator under the flywheel, not the DC regulated one, and I don't have a spare S/G and regulator to convert it to that. Need advice and opinions.

I did a 917 from Kohler to Briggs and retained same wire harness by using a Bosch relay to power the ignition circuit. It also has a dual circuit alternator and it charges battery well. I did however replace ametter with voltmeter as it tells you more. The only problem is night work where the headlights change in brightness with RPM change.

It is my understanding that the ignition systems are different. One is ground to kill, the other cuts off power to kill. That may be what Bob's relay does? All I know is the two ignition systems are different and even require a different ignition switch unless that is what Bob's relay takes care of.

The relay will change the ignition problem without going into the dash. As far as the AC charging issue, Most, and I'll repeat Most engines that have the AC circut have a split low amp dc circut also to charge the battery. You can just wire in the DC side and still run the lights off the battery. If you use the lights very long though it could drain the battery. Another fix is to switch to low amp load LED lights to help with this issue. The stator is easy to cjage so you can swap it to a larger DC charging rate if needed.

Also you'll need to swap out the drive shaft and use the standard coupler as the Kohler's use a special rubber coupler and adapter plate. Someone will want that coupler as I think they are NLA.

Thanks for all the replies. I tried to do this on Friday, but it didn't quite work out. Once I got the K341 out of the frame, and went out to get the briggs single, I realized two things that stopped the project for a while. 1. I have the wrong oil pan on the briggs so it won't fit. I need the one without the oil fill on the side, so i'll have to look for one of those. 2. The briggs leaks oil badly. There was oil all over the handtrucks I used to carry it, so before it gets used it needs new gaskets. With these two issues and the rapidly spinning clock, I decided to put the now engine-less tractor back up and continue another day.

I have 5 tractors with Kohlers both single and twins...none have the rubber coupling, all have the flex disk at both ends of the drive shaft. You may not have the rubber coupler.

7100 series came with the rubber coupler. You said you are taking a K341 out . That is a 16 hp engine. Is it blown up ? Make sure you never apply power to a briggs coil. It will blow the magnatron in the coil. If left to long it will also melt the coil. The oil drain should be on the right side with the briggs.