Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

my version of a twin 20!

greasemonkey

so the warm weather brings on projects, among other things, had bought an allis 720 for parts last year because it came with a very nice blower and mower deck, that i was going to need for my 720 with ark 700 loader on it. the parts tractor had no motor, and was in poor shape as a result of what looks like a failed motor swap. got to thinking about this parts rig, because my 720 was pretty much dedicated to loader and tiller duty, as taking the loader off is a chore, so..this parts tractor got better looking all the time as a possible candidate for a restore to be the new loader tractor...but...as you boys have seen a few years back, my dad restored 2 tractors at the same time, his mint 620 allis, and a resurrected allis 620 turned simplicity 9020 (his allis had no hood, and the only thing we could find was a simplicity hood, so it got transformed into a system 9020!) i felt that another pair of 720's around here would be VERY orange! so, i decided, that after learning there were in fact, 3 tractors with the same chassis, i would build my parts tractor to resemble a ward twin 20!! so here are the first stages of my version, changing the colour hues slightly to closer match ford tractor colours (had left-over paint from my Ford 5000 restore) and having Nate at vintage restorations change his system 9020 decals to suit my needs! the hood needs to be redone because of very poor cure time and orange peel, or i would have put the decals on to shows you boys!

before paint, with allis hood,

before paint, doing a comparison of rear tires, the triple traction, or the bar ag style, i voted the ag tires!

i like the triple traction tires, but those ag tires look sweet! had to go that route! charging the battery with be a trick, as i'm using an onan from one of those railcar repair buggies, and they arent quite the same! external alt comes from a kubota, not sure if i'm going to mount on the front or rear of engine, its now mounted to the rear, which will require modifying the oil cooler to clear belt...i'm not sure yet, worried about under hood heat...

Yeah where the heck did you get those chrome rims? I would love a set of those on my show tractor!

Looks like the wheels were powdercoated.Not as shiny as chrome but they look real good.They have some powder now that is real close to chrome and is a whole lot cheaper. Bill

full prize on the guess... powder coated! they call it " extreme chrome! going to try and throw a little polish on and see if they come out more! motor painted today, external alt off of a kubota...we'll see how that turns out! thanks for the great comments!

Hey Pete Whats the prize?I have to admit I cheated,I powdercoat for a living,but I'll take the prize anyway.Thanks Bill

hope to have the hood back monday, then time to sticker it, see how it looks! motor sitting in place, time for more fab work.

Excellent work; looks great. However I'm thinking A/C Homelite blue rather than Ford. Hmmm, a "720" Hommie???

ok, hood back and decals on, motor in for fitment, getting closer...got my bolts and nuts back from coater, now they are all yellow anodized... lloks good i think! next will be the wiring and the loader...

so here is a pic of my bro-in-laws tractor, that i swapped tinwork for, so he has my allis tin, i has his simplicity tin, his is ready to go, and charging! which is a big deal on these onans! so bought a kubota alternator, and installed it under the hood, he has everything still original under there, plus an external charging system. looks original!