Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

shutoff

yukon

picked up a 918 agco allis today its got a 18 hp briggs the problem is it wont shut off with the key you have to pull the choke to kill it, is there a easy fix to this im not very good at wiring

May be an easy fix. Check for corrosion at the key switch. If not there, you'll have to follow the kill wire. It may be pinched-off, disconnected etc. Good luck.

I am fairly that the original engine would have been a Kohler. Very different ignition wiring as I believe the K motors use an external coil versus the magneto ignition found on B&S engines. Most important that no power is ever applied to the mag coil as it will fry in a nano-second! Most mag ignitions use a ground kill to shut off ignition. A simple toggle switch to ground to the mag may work for you. Otherwise I think you'll need to change the ignition switch and do a little rewiring. Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Can I send you a diagram of of an easy fix, but first you have to find that live wire that used to energize the coil. Can you do that?

Not sure of the setup, but if the original was a Kohler and you now have a Briggs, they do kill differently. One kills by grounding the ignition module, the other by cutting power to the ignition circuit, I believe. Unless this has always been an issue since the change, it would sound like something is either disconnected, broken wire, or bad ignition switch. Either way, the sooner you fix it the better. Shutting down with the choke is very hard on an engine.

Also I am curious of the product number. Just above the power steering ran looks like there is an identification number. And the more that I look at it, it might have had a Command or Triad in it. Then it should be real easy. P/S I also have a wire diagram of tractor.

blt the mfg# is 1692949 ser# is 16959 package# is 1692950 and i got the old engine its a triad that still runs but its tired

quote:
Originally posted by yukon
blt the mfg# is 1692949 ser# is 16959 package# is 1692950 and i got the old engine its a triad that still runs but its tired
1998 Model year. Take some pictures of where wires are exiting the engine (Briggs) and also on the Triad to see what the guy did. From there we can start to help you out. Nice catch.

pics didnt show anything, a friend of mine just contacted me says all i need is a relay he said he will fix it. i want to thank all you guys for your help.

You don't even need a relay. There's a white wire that's not connected and that's the grounding wire for the mag system. You can double check it with an ohmmeter. Then you just connect it to the engine mag terminal. Just curious, does the ammeter work?

Here is the wire diagram, starts on page 16. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEGGP_duI0tG5ERl7mRgtLvBCd6

quote:
Originally posted by yukon
no the amp meter dosent work
Then there is a chance that the PO never finished wiring it.