Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vanguard Quit on Me

Les

Got the Broadmoor with the 12.5 hp Briggs Vanguard out, mowed for a little while and it quit on me, thought it was out of gas, when I let it sit for awhile it will start up and run for about 2 minutes then quit and will not restart until it sits for awhile. Any ideas on what is wrong?

I'll go with Mystik on a dirty fuel line. It will seep enough to fill bowl and then when you run it, seeping can't keep up. Can you blow backward into fuel line and see if that helps?

I took the fuel line off, with the gas cap off I cannot blow into the fuel line, does that mean that it is plugged at the fuel tank?

quote:
Originally posted by Les
I took the fuel line off, with the gas cap off I cannot blow into the fuel line, does that mean that there it is plugged at the fuel tank?
Les, if there is no shutoff between you and the tank and nothing is dripping out the fuel line, yep, that appears to be the problem. I am assuming you have a gravity fed fuel system. It is surprising that as much as you try to keep the fuel neck area clean, the amount of fines that sneak in and plug the fuel outlet fitting. See if you can jiggle a piece of wire in that area to jar some of that stuff loose.