Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Vanguard help!

TGerber

Long story short, put a NOS 16 hp Vanguard V-twin in a 916 allis tractor, initial key turn and start-up went great- tractor ran perfect! But went to turn off(with key switch) would not stop running!. So my uncle (retired mechanic- no rookie like me)who was with me took his test light and ground out engine on bolt on side of engine(bolt is insulated to shroud)- black wire from this bolt goes to ignition coils. Engine stopped, we turned key, engine started again so we shut it off same way- ground it out. Now it will not fire, have spark at plug- if test with a random plug(plugs still in tractor) laid on side of block- can see spark, but tried with new plugs from new engine and no spark, is getting fuel -plugs are wet! We are at a loss as to why it will not fire or run anymore. Bad coils?- no spark at plugs?- Bought other new plugs -same thing - no spark? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

The 916 had a kohler originally. Did you replace the key switch? The Kohler was battery ignition. The Vanguard is magneto. If you ran 12 volt power to the magneto you will fry them.

No we did not change key switch, but I followed the ignition wiring diagram for the Briggs engine from here. I thought all would be Ok.

The wiring diagrams above are for a Briggs and Kohler. It doesn`t list a 16hp kohler but should be the same as the other Kohlers. The Briggs diagram is for a single cylinder but should be close to what you need for the Vanguard. The diagram shows they are different switches for each brand of motor. If you have spark then they more than likely are ok. did you change wiring around in the connector that plugs into the switch? I would check to see if there is 12 volts power at your kill wire since the key switch hasn`t been changed. If so it will ruin them coils. Check with Bob (BLT). He says you can use a Bosch relay and keep the Kohler switch. http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/relay.htm