Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MittenB10

Briggs 23D Head Issues w/ pics

MittenB10
Got the 23D running great, get the new muffler on it and take it for a spin around the yard then I notice some smoke blowing out of one of the head bolts. Figured no big deal, just some oil from assembly. The more I ran it the more it did it. Check out the pictures.

Head bolts were torqued to spec 190 inch lbs (16 ft lbs) in sequence according to manual. Do I need to RE-torque them? Also, checked compression and it's at 70 PSI. Any help is greatly appreciated!

MittenB10
Appreciate the prompt response Bob! 1 - Not sure if the head was completely flat. I guess I assumed and you know where that gets ya. 2 - I will re-torque them, 16 ft lbs would be correct right? 3 - Thoughts on that compression of 70 psi?

briggs9498
quote:
Thoughts on that compression of 70 psi?
It is very hard to get an accurate reading of compression on these because of the easy spin starting feature. Briggs and Stratton does not give out numbers on compression because of this. There is a way to check it with a rope and see if the flywheel "bounces" back. I'm sure someone with better knowledge on that will chime in. But for me I just turn them over by hand to get a feel of the compression. From the picture it looks like gas more than oil so I'd think that maybe the head isn't flat or gasket was bad? The reason I say this is because the one 23D I have burnt oil so bad that it wound up blowing the head gasket. It also always leaked a little like yours is. But again yours looks more like fuel. As for the torque my book also shows 190 inch pounds and that would equate to ~16 foot pounds.

Willy
The head may be warped a little,if a retorque don't clear it up I would remove the head take some 180 grit sandpaper lay the sand paper on a piece of glass so you know you have a near perfect flat serface and make a few passes over the sand paper useing light pressure,then look at the surface and see if it made contact clear across the face. if not you can rub on the sandpaper until it's flat. Don't use to much pressure when sanding,or you might sand more on one side then the other. Good luck

MittenB10
quote:
From the picture it looks like gas more than oil so I'd think that maybe the head isn't flat or gasket was bad? The reason I say this is because the one 23D I have burnt oil so bad that it wound up blowing the head gasket. It also always leaked a little like yours is. But again yours looks more like fuel.
I'll do a retorque on the head and double (triple) check the bolts. Good call on that being fuel and not oil, thought it looked a little thin myself. That gasket was a brand new one and I inspected it for pits, cracks, etc. before assembly.

MittenB10
quote:
Originally posted by Willy
The head may be warped a little,if a retorque don't clear it up I would remove the head take some 180 grit sandpaper lay the sand paper on a piece of glass so you know you have a near perfect flat serface and make a few passes over the sand paper useing light pressure,then look at the surface and see if it made contact clear across the face. if not you can rub on the sandpaper until it's flat. Don't use to much pressure when sanding,or you might sand more on one side then the other. Good luck
Thanks Willy! I'll post up some pics in here after I pull the head back off and am able to inspect it. I'm thinking the process you mentioned, plus a sharpie marker to act as die-chem to see where the high and low spots are. IF the head is warped enough, I do see Jacks and Partstree have new ones available.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by MittenB10
Considering just getting a new head on order - any objections to this?
Well I would go with original head. We think thats the problem but not sure yet, so why spend the money?

MittenB10
Finally getting back around to posting some updates. I ended up getting a new head, head bolts and gasket from Jacks. Bolted up, torqued and all was good. Mowed for nearly 2 hours straight! Awesome after sitting for 15 years. Full update in a separate thread soon.