Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking at a 7117 tomorrow

7016simplicity

Looking at a 7117 tomorrow, guy says its in excellent condition wants $600 for it ... 60" deck... Any comments or things known to be wrong with this model, or things to look for?

What engine is in the tractor? Believe many came with the Series I Kohler which are not a good engine at all. Could also be upgraded by now.

yes I wont know until tomorrow, he did say it was a kohler.. and tractor was all original.. I will try to check out the engine and find some #s where would any # be on the motor?

I have never seen a 60" deck on any Sovereign either. But what the heck, there's always a first! I would make sure the engine is good and strong, they are great engines, but if they need to be rebuilt they can be 'spensive.

Well any of you ever drove 1 1/2 hours to look at something, be it a car ,truck, tractor, etc after talking to the owner and being told yea the tractor runs great and is in excellent condition.. Got there, tractor was junk, yes 48" deck , and he tried to start it and it would not.. He said "funny I had it running yesterday" Makes for a real bad day dont it .....there is 3 hours and $$ for gas wasted.

quote:
Originally posted by 7016simplicity
Well any of you ever drove 1 1/2 hours to look at something, be it a car ,truck, tractor, etc after talking to the owner and being told yea the tractor runs great and is in excellent condition.. Got there, tractor was junk, yes 48" deck , and he tried to start it and it would not.. He said "funny I had it running yesterday" Makes for a real bad day dont it .....there is 3 hours and $$ for gas wasted.
Unfortunately more than once.

I just looked at a Deutz Allis 916H last week. Fortunately the tractor was only about 15 miles from me. The original owner passed away in January and the sons were cleaning the house out to sell it. They were looking to sell this tractor too. Tractor had a 48" mower deck that was all beat up. 36" tiller with worn tines, and a beat up 42" snowthrower. Their newspaper ad made it sound like tractor was in nice shape. Got there and and battery was dead, three flat tires, and tractor itself was all beat up too. You could tell the thing had alot of hours on it. I offered $500 cash and they would not go for it, so I left.

Yes, it seems people's definition of "Mint", "Cherry", "Clean", "Excellent", etc. varies with each individual. Sort of like when I go to a home to quote on repairs or restoration. Some people live very differently than I do, and what I would consider a filthy dump, they consider a palace. I guess it's all relative. Cherries and lemons are both fruits. :o)

Couple of years ago, I tried to purchase a 7117 from a guy who had "inherited" it when he bought the place. He said he hadn't started it, but that it should start right up. Wanted $500, which I would have given him, but the dang thing wouldn't start, after an hour of him and me tryin'. I offered $300 as is, but he took affront at my "lo-ball" offer. To the best of my knowledge, that tractor's still there. I should swing by sometime, and see if he's relented. Problem is, mama has put her foot down with the five I already have.