Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Won't move

1982flh

I have a 918h Acco-Allis had the timing belt break so I released the axles (loosened the axle collar on left side ) so I could push it anyway repaired the engine and slide the right axle back in and tightened the left axle collar now it won't move left wheel free wheels what did I do?? and what can I do to fix?? Thanks

I think there's a key in there you have to hit when you put the axle back in. Go out to the main page and get the manual for your model and look at the axle/rear differential exploded view. On mine (Homelite T-12/ Allis HB112) there is a key on the right side under the diff. You may have pulled it out, dumped the key(s)and without them, nothing goes nowhere.

Next time you need to move the tractor without engine power depress the 2 detents on the top of the transaxle with the spring loaded bracket. This will neutral the hydrostat so it can free wheel.

Yeah, you may have dropped the keys into the differential. I hope not as this isn't fun to rectify (you have to disassemble the differential to get them out once they fall into that mess of grease - at least I did on both of mine). Hopefully they fell off the shaft but NOT into the diff. But this would explain why the left wheel freewheels.

Well now looks like timing belt issue(have pitched another) was caused by oil pump pulley or pump did not feel excessive movement in any of the pulleys when I had it apart so heck with it get another machine.

There are several engines that will swap into this tractor and keep a fine machine up and useable. Trust us, yours is not the only Kohler OHV engine that has has taken an early retirement.

quote:
Originally posted by 1982flh
Can you give me a list of motors that will fit?? Thanks
Briggs and Kohler cast iron single cylinders, Briggs Vanguards, Kohler Commands, Kohler KT, Kohler Magnum and I have one and so does another member that we have put in a Honda GX 620.