Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Big-10 Referb All Done

Willy

I finely got around to working on the Big-10, I broke an Axel tube last winter so I figured I would give her the full treatment. I redone the steering new bushing and bearing,rebuilt the hydro. I've been busy cleaning the grease and crud off so I can get ready to paint. This is the Big-10 I bought at an action over a year ago,I can't remember ever seeing anything so full of grease and dirt.It did have a re power at some time as it has an1982 Eng in it. I'll post more as I go. [
[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big_10_002.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big_10_003.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big_10_004.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big_10_005.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big_10_006.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by B10Dave
Jim; what bike are the hard bags off of? Dave
I'm not sure it's something my son-in law bought at a yard sale and then decided he didn't want them. That kind of stuff always ends up here,just like the crap stacked along the wall,it belongs to our daughter,she lost her house in the 08 flood and her stuff is still here. One way or another it will be gone this summer.

I got a good start on the big-10 and didn't have any interruptions for three days so as I got the parts cleaned I painted them right away. This has been going real smooth,I wonder what I for got or what's going to happen to screw things up.:D I knew it was a good omen when the steering came off with out a hassle. The only thing now that I could use is a little more warm weather it just a little chilly for a good paint job, I got a couple runs but not where they show and it's a long way from it's heart.
[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big-10_Referb_002_-_Copy.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/big 10 work.jpg[/img]
Well I forgot to put the hydro pulley on,glad I caught it before I put the dash tower on. More pictures when I get more done.

Lookin great! Once the parts are cleaned and painted, the fun begins, and there's a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 8D

It was a lot of long days but worth it. I have a new seat being made at a local shop,should be ready in a few days.
[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big-10 D3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big- 10 5.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Willy/Big-10 d2.jpg[/img]

Great job Willy ! Care to share what paint/primer you used ? And how you got the rims looking so great ! If I ever do get around to "trying" to paint any of mine, That's one of the things I wonder about. If you dismount the tire it looks like you'd just ruin the new paint when you put the tire back on the rim. Anyway, great job !

Looking good! As for rims, when I did mine I removed the tires. Blasted, cleaned then primed. The 3 coats of Martin Seynour automotive paint with hardener and let them sit. No problems putting tires back on.

quote:
Originally posted by Tarheel
Great job Willy ! Care to share what paint/primer you used ? And how you got the rims looking so great ! If I ever do get around to "trying" to paint any of mine, That's one of the things I wonder about. If you dismount the tire it looks like you'd just ruin the new paint when you put the tire back on the rim. Anyway, great job !
I used Rust-O-Leum primer and paint, Old Cat Yellow,the wheels are rust-o-leum appliance Almond it went on very even and covered nicely. When I painted the wheels I just let the air out of the tire broke the bead and cut out cardboard and wedged between the tire and wheel. After I broke the bead I laid the cardboard on the wheel an tapped around the wheel to get the contour then cut it out. I cut it in half then just slipped them under. Worked good.

quote:
Originally posted by toomanytractors
Great job Willy. How close is that paint to the original AC Old Yellow??
It's pretty close,about as close as anything in a rattle can.

You did a great job and thanks for sharing. K+Makes me want to keep moving forward on some of the 5200 and 6200 improvements I have in mind.