Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SUNRUNNER HYDROSTATIC TRANS.

anixon92

pick up a sunrunner. But the hydro trans will not turn freely. The check valve to push/pull to move mower without it running will not move in or out. Took hydro trans off the machine today and when you go and spin the fan the shaft is binding and then it gets hard to turn and other times it will spin freely. I cann't move the shift lever (forward/reverse)on the trans in to forward side. only reverse. any help. i printed a drawing of a eaton hydrostatic model 6 or 7 trans.

That pump and motor are like a large ball bearing outer race that is not on center with the shaft. The rotor has bores with bearing balls in them. They roll on the race as well as rotate in the bores in the rotor. Sounds like the race is beginning to wear out and shards of steel are coming off . It may be one of the shaft bearing wearing out and the fragments are getting into the pump.

quote:
Originally posted by anixon92
what kind of oil do i use in the hydrostatic transmission
The book says multipurpose hydraulic oil which could equate to 5W-30 engine oil and really hot conditions 30W or SAE 30.