Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
73simplicity

Off Topic - One Chance in a Million

73simplicity
Was at one of my rental properties early this morning, had some extra time, so decided to relocate a gate for one of the tenants. I knew there was a gas line in the area because I had installed it myself last year (tracer wire too). I didn’t want to drive home (10 miles) to get a tone generator figuring I wasn’t going to dig and hitting that line by driving a post would be one chance in a million. After the gas company arrived this afternoon and quoted between $800 and $1000 for the repair, I decided to do the repair myself. Drove 120 miles to get a connector. It’s 11:00 PM here and I just got out of the shower. So, how was your day……….??? Is this a perfect hit or what..? I couldn’t do that again on a bet. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/gas-seq.jpg

MPH
Herb, thats 2nd chance in a million, about 15 years ago I was forming a sidewalk and drove a steak right though newly laid 3 in conduet, not to be discovered til latter when the ground was froozen and the elec. crew was tryin to pull wires. unhappy campers to say the least. Nice shot though!!!!!MPH

dlcentral
Herb, I guess it's not just me that this kind of stuff happens to. Now why couldn't you have that type of luck with the lottery ? I guess that " Murphy " paid you a visit. His laws are so true. Well, we all know what you are doing today. How are the new toys ? Have you had a chance to try them out ? Good luck, ( scratch that ) I guess you allready have good luck and go buy yourself a lotery ticket. Maybe it's your time to win, Al

PGL
Herb, that's a heck of a way to use up that "extra time" you had. I've usually found that when I didn't have enough time to do something the "right" way, I always had enough time to do it over. Thanks for sharing. Peter.

Al
Herb, A year ago the same thing happened to a copper LP line around Martinsberg Ia. The LP seeped back along the line and into the basement. The house blew up and killed about 5 and injured a bunch of people that were there for a Sunday get together. My own experience, my 35 years ago my 5 year old son was driving a cold chisel in the ground and pulling it out. I came by and said: "You had better move over there, there is a phone line to the shop in this area. Guess What, 2 holes in a 10 x 10 area, and no more phone in the garage. He was good. Thanks for sharing. Makes us all think. Al E

TimE
Several years ago, I was installing a water spigot in my house. I had to drill a hole through the sheathing and siding. I drilled right into the electric stove line. Never knew that you could arc weld with a drill bit. Live and learn.