Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help on replacing a blown Triad

jmhusby

I am trying to get some info on the specs for a Kohler Command to replace a bad Triad. The problem I have is that the tractor is 100 miles away and I don't want to buy it unless I can find a satisfactory engine for it. At this time a kit from Jim's or Al is not in my budget. I've checked on a couple but they ask for shaft size or bolt pattern types of questions. Been trying to find a sovereign around to measure but can't find any closer. Going to call a couple of dealers, not close, to see if they have specs. Does anyone know if the Kohler website has this type of info? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For starts, here is the Command engine spec number PS62513. Shaft size should not be a concern unless you are driving a front PTO driven snowblower.

The 62513 is the correct spec. it is 1inch shaft. Mine has a 64512 in it and is 1-1/8 inch shaft. Mine is sunstar spec. and is a 20hp. Bolt pattern should be the same up through 27hp. I believe Rod Hubbard has 27hp in his.

Are you looking for a new engine or a used replacement? Here's just one place I found online [url][/url]http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/kohler_horizontal_engines1089.html

quote:
Originally posted by RayS
The 62513 is the correct spec. it is 1inch shaft. Mine has a 64512 in it and is 1-1/8 inch shaft. Mine is sunstar spec. and is a 20hp. Bolt pattern should be the same up through 27hp. I believe Rod Hubbard has 27hp in his.
I 99% certain that the 18 hp engine also has a 1 1/8 in crankshaft. The Triad engine that had been in my Sovereign was 1 1/8. I can measure it later if needed, but like you said it doesn't really matter in this application.

Dan, you are right the part number is 24 014 06-S and the deminsions are below. Shaft 1-1/8" (28.550 mm)_PTO Mtg Face 2 3/4" (70.8 mm)_7/16-20 http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/shop/html/pages/products/kohler_horizontal_engines1089.html

I'm in the same boat on the budget front with my 918H. My restoration is on hold as I scratch my head on what to do next. I don't see myself putting a $1,500 engine in a $200 - 19 year old tractor. I also don't want to part it out as the tractor is in otherwise good shape. I've had whole tractors and parts tractors slip though my fingers in the past month. I think the reasonable route for me is to find a parts tractor for a donor engine or a nice complete tractor that I can use my current tractor as a parts machine to support it. I can get a lot of Simplicity for $1000 vs an engine for over $1500. Good luck with your search. Bill

Love my Briggs 18hp twin and the swap is fairly easy. As for spending $1500 I think that is crazy I see Sovereigns all the time for 1200 or less that look really nice. Lucky me I got $325 into my Allis 917 and the motor was less than that! Sold the kt 17 I took out for more than the briggs

I bought a "dead" 3416H from a guy seven years ago, for $50. Carb 200, seat 100, battery 100, new parts all over the place, 300. So I have 750 or 800 in it. Runs like a champ. Is it worth 800? Who knows? But I'll probably keep it running for ten years. The amortized cost should be about $80 per year. Just sayin'.

I'd like to find a sweet diesel deal for my 99 sovereign, I am up to 9.5 hours on it and the triad still runs, so I have a bit of time.

It is always a dilemma as to how to repower these old tractors when there is no other option. As it is, rebuilding can be relatively expensive depending upon the engine, and used engines that will work are hard to come by, or way to expensive for what you are getting. If these were a vertical shaft version of a tractor, it would be a different story completely. I have often wondered, why are the vertical shaft engines so reasonable, and the horizontal so expensive, HP for HP?

here's my thoughts for around $1000 you can get a vanguard in there. For $1500 you can get a command. For around $700 you could get a 10hp china diesel in there. Or for a few hundred take a risk and buy a used engine... usually there's a reason used engines are 4 sale.

Not to hijack this thread, but I gather that Simplicity only used Briggs and Stratton engines in the Sovereign type tractors - that had a single cylinder? Did they ever use a K or Magnum series single cylinder engine? I ask because I may have a lead on a 16 hp K series engine for cheap. I'm thinking that if I don't use a front pto on my tractor (for now) that I might could tie things over with a K series engine. Not sure how to connect the drive shaft or if that would present a huge problem, but it is something to think about for me. Thanks! Bill

In the Sovereign series tractors they used Briggs singles, Kohler singles, Kohler KT and Magnum twins Series, Kohler Triad and Command. So they pretty much ran the gambit. I don't believe they used Briggs Vanguard twins, but I could be wrong.

Made an offer on the tractor wih the blown engine but don't know if they will take. Would like to get it home so I could see what ploblems it would take for instance to put a Briggs, 18 HP, in it and resolve any muffler issues. Thanks.