Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 712H Starter Problem

daltonskier

Hi Everyone - I have a AC712H and I am running into a starting problem. When I turn the key all I get is a single click sound. I have replaced the battery and spark plug and I am thinking it might have to do with either the relay (12v 20amp), solenoid or gear driven starter. Is there any way to test each one to see where the fault is? Keep in mind I am fairly new to this. Also does anyone know where I an get a replacement mower deck for this model?

is the gear on the starter disengaging from the flywheel when the starter stops? DO NOT PUT OIL on the shaft. silicone spray or even better, dry graphite (not both)... to lubricate... if you use oil or grease the shaft gets dirty and the gear wont move up and down the "threaded" shaft properly. if the starter gear doesn't come back down the starter motor shaft it wont be able to spin up to speed and engage the flywheel to start the engine. If this is the problem, you may need to push the gear with a screwdriver to get it to unscrew down the shaft.... i hope Im making sense otherwise it could be the solenoid... you could jump it by "jumping" the 2 large connections/terminals on the solenoid together... if this works it may be the solenoid... if you want it to stay running turn the key to on first... :) if you think it is the circuit breaker... jump it as well to test...

Hi Chris - thanks for the reply. I have had to jerk around the fly wheel to get the gear to move back down the shaft as sometimes it gets stuck up there. Good idea with the silicone spray. I do not believe that is the problem though as the gear is disengaged. Thanks for the idea of jumping the solenoid/breaker. I wasn't sure exactly how I could do that so that is helpful. thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by daltonskier
Hi Everyone - I have a AC712H......... Also does anyone know where I an get a replacement mower deck for this model?
http://southbend.craigslist.org/grd/2948933250.html That one is on the local Craigslist. Check Craigslist in your area.

Clean all battery connections and battery cable ends. Mine did this last week, exact symptom. Cleaned all cables with a light filing and bam off she went.