Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 712/Kohler K301s throttle cable linkage problen

Bell

Howdy all. First post. I bought a broken down 78ish AC 712H with a froze up tiller and nice mowin deck. I'm slowly restoring it and using it as my regular mower. The other day I replaced the head gasket, carb gasket, cleaned the breather, gapped the valves etc. When I connected the throttle cable back to the little arm that hooks to the governer arm via a spring I developed a problem I had not had before. The little arm the throttle cable hooks to only has about a half inch or less range of motion which fully moves the governor arm and opens and closes the butterfly. HOWEVER, the end of the throttle cable moves back and forth about a full two inches when the throttle lever is moved. So if I hook it back up as the manual shows I have a drastically reduced range of motion in the throttle lever making it very sensitive AND as soon as I take my hand off the throttle it physically pulls the lever back down and reduces throttle. I've done everything the manual suggested and everything I and my buddy could thank of. I've stared at it for an hour and can't figure it out. I know its going to be something really simple but I'm stumped, AND I need to mow! Please help. Thanks!

Hi. Check that the cable housing is clamped down tight and isn't moving with the cable when you move the throttle lever.

Remove the steering wheel and the top of the dash so you can gain access to the inside of the throttle lever. You will find the nut holding the friction section and crank arm likely is loose.

Thank you for your reply! Yes the cable does slide in the clamp, but only because the eschew of motion is too great in comparison with the governor arm so it can't be held down. Any ideas?

OK then, the range of motion of the cable should come close to matching the stroke of the vertical control rod on the engine. There are stop nuts on the control rod that help dial in the range of motion but it does not need to completely match as the nuts also control the no load high idle speed of the engine on the lower nut and the stop point for idle. IF you achieve full rpm on the engine with a very short movement of the control rod then it's likely that the main governor spring is located in the incorrect hole on the govn. crank arm. The farther hole away from the hinge point of the govn. crank arm the more sensitive the govn. response is. But this can cause the govn. to be jumpy at times if it's too sensitive and it allows the control arm to apply too much pull on the govn. raising the rpm's. So in effect the control stroke would need to be shortened to keep the rpm's correct.

Hi. Dave is right, but that cable sheath isn't supposed to move at all in the clamp. Either it's the wrong cable, it's not mounted in the clamp properly, or the clamp itself is defective.