Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

96-97 Sunstar Value?

one80auto

I am a new club member who is VERY new to Simplicity Tractors, and who has been eyeing a beat up Sunstar 20 in the area (1692456, s/n# 1129). It is a 96-97 from what I can gather because it does not have a locking diff. It has a 60" deck and a little over 700 hrs. It was used exclusively for mowing by the original owner but definitely was stored outside. Everything with color is faded. The only concerning rust is on the deck outlet area and the forward portion of the power steering acutator that is very pitted. Everything mechanical works well. The engine is running well but seems a little bit cold-blooded on startup, which is probaly normal. Transmission seems good with a "normal" whine. The PTO and deck startup and mow correctly. It needs a bunch of cosmetic work but again the meat and potatoes work. I am looking for a currently working mowing platform to get us through the season. I want an older working project to rebuild during the winter months and we are looking to expand the machine into a "light-working" tractor as well. (ie. front end loader, garden plowing, trailer towing, etc.) This Sunstar has my attention to meet all those needs, specifically the "project" bug and fit into my budget that will only allow machine for now. The gentleman selling it parts out and fixs old mowers for a living and is asking $1000 even. I would really appreciate any guidance on how close that price is to reality. Most of my internet research shows it to be about right but am I missing something. Thank you in advance for any help.

For your wants and needs mentioned, either of these - have a look get the one that feels like yours. Although I doubt you will drive to Michigan. In good shape these run closer to 2. Left outside needs a trained eye to appreciate. Mechanical matters more than cosmetic. 700 hours is not much. If 1000 is the ask, could go lower. Paint might come back with rubbing if not badly gone. There's always something to miss; but you will be going thru this front to back w regular maintenance items. Apart from that, you are missing attachments you want later. sm01 There's lots of room for expansion here.