Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Old gas?

Bruker

Was at my FIL's place today getting their yard ready for their return from South. The only gas I had to use was what he had left from last summer so I poured it in with about a half tank of new gas. The mower ran like crap for a while and sputtered and had low power at full throttle but it cleared up after about a half an hour of mowing. I'm guessing the sputtering and low power was from the stale gas or water in the gas but what do you think?

I would agree. I always put Seafoam in the gas I store over the winter and also use Seafoam throughout the summer. I also use ethanol free gas I get from Kwik Trip.

Gas from last summer??? I would think that would have been stale. Also, was it reformulated gas??? I have heard that the alcohol does evaporate from the gas over an extended period of time. Chris,,, Does the Kwik Trip up there have all grades without ethanol??

I have been a Sta-Bil user ever since it came out and I never have a carb problem related to crappy gas. And its self life goes way beyond what they say on the container.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
Watertown has Premuim without ethanol
Sullivan and Palmyra are doing the same Ron. I even read an article that stated the fact that E10 fuel might not be needed anymore in some areas because of the advances in emission reduction technology in cars over the past ten to fifteen years or so. Wouldn't that be nice,,,, having to not worry about carbs on our small engines rotting from the inside out with the extra alcohol they're threatening on putting in the gas.

gas starts to go stale after a month now a days. i use seafoam or the briggs and stratton blue stuff. i always get the premium ethanol free gas though too, it helps alot. see the ethanol attracts moisture which as im sure we all know is not so good for our engines.

Tim, Yep Kwik Trip has the premium non-ethanol, the market it as Recreational Gas for small engines, motorcycles, ATV's etc.

How was the gas stored? In a capped can and nearly full? If not, some water may have accumulated in the can. On the other hand, my B10, Scag, and boat all started just fine this spring with the gas that had been in them all winter. Boat had gotten some Stabil but not the B10 or Scag.

i don't know when the 15% will come through, but i do know that you cannot use it in small engines they will not run on it. the newer stuff can take the 10% but if they go to 15 everyone will have to go premium. i know some don't and well they will pay for it if this comes around.

Up here in NE Wi our Fleet Farm stores sell both mid grade regular AND premium alcohol free grades of gasoline. They do not sell them as unleaded grades. Plus the store gives a 4 cents per gallon discount coupon each time you buy something or make a return. Fleet Farm carries everything. The saying here is that "if Fleet Farm doesn't have it you don't need it"!

+1 to BLT. I have Sta-Bil in my gas, usually 20gl through the winter in containers, as well as full tanks in my two tractors and all of my mowers and my trimmer and they all sit all winter. I have never had a start up problem in the spring. Lucky??? Maybe...Maybe not.

quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
Whats the talk about the government approving 15% ethanol?
There hasn't been much talk about going to E15. NASCAR is using it in their three top series. As far as I'm concerned, all they're pushing it for is to help the farmers.