Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A mouse house

Brettw

Gentlemen: For your viewing pleasure, a rodent condo and a half.

PO said engine smoked and seized at idle. It turns over, piston and valves move freely. The cross hatch is still very prevalent throughout the cylinder. I don't see any major markings, so now I have to determine if this engine is worth the cost of parts to tear down and rebuild. There is significant exterior corrosion from mouse pee, and the ignition module appears to be shot. I am going to start researching parts costs today. Never saw one so completely packed before. The bundle of "stuff" was formed like a cake out of a cake pan, the cake pan being the blower housing.

I've pulled some packed housings, but yours is pretty! That's a nice square you have there!

I've had three this spring that have looked similar to that. So far it seems that the mice moved in after the last time the engines were last run. I really enjoy my latex gloves when I am cleaning one of these out, I found a former occupant in the last one! Long psst the smelly stage thank goodness! :D

• 2 weeks later...
Has about the same appearance as the I/C 12 on my 4212, after I bought it. But, that (4212) was not as bad as my 2110, when I started my refurb project. I have yet to pull the shroud from the 10HP engine; too busy getting the 14HP ready. But around the head of the 10HP it was like a cocoa doormat, and I did disturb one tenant (the size of a Hamster! No wonder the black snakes liked the 2110 so much.

One of the most irritating things are these mouse houses. I just try to remember and start up the machines and let them run 1-2x per month. Carnage often ensues but they cause so much damage.

Here are some pictures from the 2110 Critter Condo...

The red rag is a shop wipe to keep the clutter out of the cylinder! The only things I find harder to deal with are: Mud wasps applying their nesting in the ball of my DR Trimmer. That is some really tough material! And, the bees in the foam cushion of my BIG TEN! (that makes parts harvesting very interesting!)

• 2 months later...
The 10HP came out of the 2110, and I am still in the process of getting the shroud off for cleanup. a couple of weeks ago, last year's black snake visited the engine as it sat under the plastic bag, (looking for the former tenants?) BUT it dissapered before I could get the camera. Back to the clutter; Here is a shot of the main drive pulley for the weed cutter. It had been sitting (wrapped in a tarp) outside since 2004...

This is the same type of rubble as was jammed in my 4212's steering box. (It's like a rag mop caught up in the gears)XX( Can't wait 'til I pull the belt guard and see the extent of this mess! In passing, here is a shot of the drive train (4 spindle pulleys, and 3 idler pulleys)! Do you think the engineers could have gotten any more under the cover???

Wayne

THAT is why I dont like keeping any of my good/running tractors outdoors...The little critters are always looking for a new condo sm01

IMO, the best way to keep mice from building nests in your tractors is to have fewer tractors. If you're using them constantly, instead of just letting them sit, the mice tend to stay out of them.

Well Brett, here is the last of the current condos; the one wrapped around the main pulley on the weed cutter. I just dislike the waste of Nitrile gloves on this mess!

Now on to other problems! Wayne

Chris,you have a point but quantity is the differance between an OWNER and a COLLECTOR...I think...sounds good...:D:D
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
IMO, the best way to keep mice from building nests in your tractors is to have fewer tractors. If you're using them constantly, instead of just letting them sit, the mice tend to stay out of them.

quote:
If you're using them constantly, instead of just letting them sit, the mice tend to stay out of them.
Perhaps true. But right now, it's too hot to be outside, the ground is too dry and hard to work at all, and the grass is too dead or dormant to do any cutting. Tractor time is down to next to nuthin'! wah8C I think the mice are at Parks and Planning, preparing for the Zoning Commission, and are pushing for a major affordable housing development.

Well Brett, Monday I chased one out of the hollow in a cinder block. Or should I say evicted! Wayne

Brett, i just cleaned out a b-10 i just bought. I got it started to see it run, then tore it down. Was glad i did it, might have had a fire.

i just got done cleaning a mouse nest out of the b110 i just got there was one in the dash that filled it and a big one in the shroud good thing the head gasket blew or i wouldnt k now about the one in the shroud

• 4 months later...
Well back to the 4212, needed to replace the fuel line, so had to dis-assemble the tower (Yeech!) They're back!

between the tank and the choke/throttle control

Looking through the "tiny hole" to the frame level to clear the fuel hose, around that open steering gear cover. I'm glad I found this clutter before it jammed the steering again.Been there, done that, still waiting for the T-shirt! Guess while I'm out Monday, I'll have to pick up some moth balls! Wayne

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts