Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
chuckdog

problem with kohler command 22

chuckdog
Problem with the Kohler command 22 that I have on my zero turn. It seems to stutter up to full throttle and then at full throttle it still isn't right. I replaced the fuel filter last weekend, took the carb off and cleaned it and reinstalled it, and it still runs the same. took spark plugs out today, one on the left is light brown, one on right is white. Took the spark plugs out of my command in my 7117 that i know runs good, and with those spark plugs it still runs the same. Got home this afternoon and started it up with the left plug wire off and it runs worse and shakes. Repeated it on the right side and the same thing. So it's not like one side is definately the problem. I did take the left valve cover off and everything looks good, no broken valve springs or anything weird. Haven't done it to the right side as that cover is a pain to get on and off with the hydraulic reservoir/gas tank there. I looked at the plug wires and no cuts in the insulation that I see of the part that is sticking out of the cover. Did not pull the cover off to see if there's anything wrong under there. Kind of running out of ideas as to what may be the problem. I do know that when it ran good, it ran much smoother and nicer then this. It has a vacuum operated fuel pump, and an ignition module on the right side which went out once and I replaced about three years ago. Engine has 488 hours on it total. Here is a video of it running. Actually after replaying it it sounds pretty good, but when I throttle it up you can notice the hesitation and blubber more then when it is running wide open. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuS_YbixMbw&feature=youtu.be

chuckdog
Well, we cut grass with it and it has enough power to do that, but not quite right. Really have to baby it to engage the pto for the deck, which was never an issue before. I went and picked up an inline spark tester. Right side is a solid blue spark, stays in the same spot and doesn't hesitate at all going up and down on the throtte. Left side, the spark is there but dances around and once in awhile it dissapears. The spark is much more faint on the left side then on the right side. So now it's either one of the wires that goes to the coil, or the coil itself. i will put it in the garage for the night and pull the cover off the top tomorrow and see what I find.

1Litre
Sounds like it is lean mixture problem. Check float hight setting. Venting for fuel tank OK? Maybe a fuel pump problem or grass and junk in the tank fitting restricting flow. It could be a leak in the intake tract. Use WD40 on mating surfaces when engine idling. It will change RPM when you hit the leaking area.

chuckdog
Ok, I'm about to put the white flag up on this thing. Checked the gas tank for restriction or garbage, that was all good. Sprayed some cleaner around all the openings and it didn't change anything. went over the course of the day, and tried putting on new ignition coils and the SAM module. Also put in some new spark plugs. Seemed to run better but after I got all of it back together it seems to run exactly the same. Only thing I have not done is take apart the fuel pump and see if somethings' up in there. I checked compression and both sides are equal. Tonite it was running better on half choke, where before all of the changes, that never mattered, but I did go through the entire carb , cleaned it and put it back on. This one has got me stumped and I already have enough time and money in it that I could have dropped it off and been done with it. I think for mine and my wife's sanity that may happen tomorrow. Don't know what else I am missing.

chuckdog
BLT, I think I'm losing my mind on this thing. When I was tinkering with it last night, I thought the left side was the one with a fainter spark. New coils and old SAM, it ran worse. I was told it was probably the SAM module that was bad. Put that in, and it seems to run good. Put all the covers back on, and it seems to run better then last night and throttle up much better, and doesn't stutter, but it still doesn't seem 100%. Runs smoother at partial choke, so now secondguessing myself that I got the carb 100% clean. I am going to check the fuel pump tomorrow morning and then I am going to get some seafoam and run it. I don't know what else to do, but in my mind I still think it ain't right. And I get the occasional backfire throttling down, like things are too rich, but there ain't anything to adjust.

chuckdog
Just to update on this thing. Did a leakdown test on it Friday night. Left side was good, nothing unusual. Right side of the engine, with the engine at TDC on that side, I could still here some air leakig back through the carb(intake valve). So between Friday night and Saturday morning, I tore down the engine enough to get the head off of that side which taking the head off was easy, getting at it required loosening the engine and spinning it to get it away from the hydraulic tank etc. Took the head off hoping to see something definate but all I found was alot of carbon deposits around the valves, but no bent valve or dropped seat or anything like that. The valve seat surface is kind of odd that where the valve meets it, the angled ridge is not a consistent width all the way around. It is thinner on one half then the other. I will try to take a picture of it, but at the very least, I need to do a valve lap job on it before I put it back together. I think I will pull the other head off, and do the same thing right away with it, and then new head gaskets etc. and put back together. Then I will go through the carb one more time and pray I got everything licked.

JimDk
Chuck, A good old fashioned way to check for valve leakage is to turn the head upside down so valves are near level and put a small amount of gasoline around the head of the valve. If you have any leaks the gas will seep out. Watch for drips in the intake and exhaust ports.

MysTiK
My 1 penny offering. value accordingly. Idle speed set too low - set it at spec if it isn't there. A "too low idle speed" might cause fuel pushback into carb, esp. at prolonged idle, esp. in hi-perf engine with long duration cam, since intake valve is open longer. If idle speed is normal spec, ignore this!