Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12 hp kohler problem

simple-kid

HI, I have been mowing my lawn with my 7012 and it has a problem. After mowing with it for awhile it heats up and comes to a roaring halt.8C I thought it was overheating from a mouse nest above the flywheel, but that wasn't it. It has 120 +- compression. What could be the problem, could someone help me?

Well after it mows for a little while it seems like It gets tired and starts sputtering sounds like it's gonna blow up and then it roars to a stop. You have to take the PTO off and let it kind of straighten itself out. Sometimes that doesn't work and it still dies off.

bad coil.
quote:
Originally posted by simple-kid
HI, I have been mowing my lawn with my 7012 and it has a problem. After mowing with it for awhile it heats up and comes to a roaring halt.8C I thought it was overheating from a mouse nest above the flywheel, but that wasn't it. It has 120 +- compression. What could be the problem, could someone help me?

I have had several of these. The exaust valve is sticking in the guide. Most K series singles carbon up the stem and guide to a point they are under clearanced. Clean the valve stem with 320 and solvent till the black carbon is gone. Run a std size guide reamer threw the bore and you will see mostly black carbon come out. Oil it up and put it back together with .015" valve clearance and .021" to .022" point gap. That will advance the timing slightly and cool the exaust valve a little. Gap the spark plug at .035" It may need a valve job if this has been goin on for a long time , check the face of the valve and seat for erosion .

Hey simple-kid: This link is to an old thread from last July. It talks about overheats, heat shields, some of the solutions that were mentioned here, and also talks ethanol switch to premium gas. I don't know if this will help you; but it might expand the consciousness a bit. I was getting overheat, ping, miss, and vapor after an hour of running on warm day in longer grass. Hope this helps. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=117675 The good news is that the engine runs ok, hits a difficult time that seems heat related, and then runs ok again after a cooling. That tends to say the engine is ok. Read Dark's comments in that link. To me this is all related. Heat is the stressor that brings out the problems.

I had a problem similer to that when i first ran my used 7112 turned out to be a steel enclosed inline fuel filter i replaced it with the standard glass bowl mesh filter and that was the fix.

Ok i will have to check. It did some work on the tractor and it wasn't the coil, or the gas cap but now I have to try different gas.

What should I do now guys, I put 91 gas in it and it didn't work then tried a coil and that didn't work and then tried to cool the carb bowl down and that didn't work. I think it might have something to do with ignition because it wants to keep running when I try to shut it off.

Hi. If you have already tried everything mentioned above and it didn't work, try this. If it is really a Kohler, it has a fuel pump on the lower left side of the block. These pumps have a diaphram inside and eventually build up crud and clog cutting way back on the fuel flow. I have four AC700 & 900 series tractors with Kohler K301 engines, and have had to clean the fuel pump on two of them to solve similar problems. The pump can be dismantled and cleaned, but make sure you have located a replacement in case you mess it up. Good luck.

Nick, I think you can bypass the fuel pump and as long as the gas tank is full or nearly so it should run without the pump. That would either prove or eliminate the pump as the issue. The pump is needed given the location of the carb and the tank. But with a full tank you should be okay. Rick........

Rick, Just tried that Rick and it still has the problem so I have narrowed it down to the carb or the valves. Thanks for the info!