Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tarheel

Magnum 18 starter troubles

Tarheel
I have an 18 hp Kohler magnum on my 7117 and the starter (drive) don't want to engage. I can use a screw driver or such to cause a little drag and it turns over just fine. I know I ran into this years ago but I can't seem to recall what the fix was. Anyone know ? Thanks

MikeES
I don't quite understand "cause a little drag". But the normal problem with Kohler starters that don't want to engage is either low battery voltage (less than 12 volts) or sticky bendix. Both can cause the bendix not to throw out fast enough to engage the ring gear on the flywheel. Clean and lube the bendix spiral with WD-40 and either lube with WD-40 or a very light oil.

Tarheel
Mike, placing a stick or such against the drive and then hitting the switch is what I meant. The stick puts drag on the drive so the starter outruns it as it is meant to. Back in 90 or so when I worked at a dealer we had a rash of this going on and cleaning/lubing would work for a while and it was right back as it was.(dust would stick to the lube) I know there was a fix I just can't recall what it was. We had some Sunstar owners upset over it.

GrincheyOne
I believe the other day, someone had the same problem, and it was suggested by (?) to clean then lube with silicon spray. Oils/grease will cause dirt, and dust to adhere and gunk it up again. be careful with that ring gear, You really don't to have to replace it. I have the same problem with my 4212 starter, where the bendix gets "tired" about halfway engaged with the ring, and won't disengage on it's own. Good Luck

Tarheel
Hey John, Thanks for your reply ! I have run into the problem you had on a few Bosch type starters for outboards. Just as Al said, You can press those and or put crimps in the case and get a little more life from them. On mine, the drive just don't move forward as it should to engage the ring gear. I will try the Silicon spray as Wayne mentioned.

comet66
On the M20 engine I have found several starters that have a lot of wear on the nose bearing. The oilite bearing wears and allows enough side play to prevent full engagement of the drive gear with the ring gear.

Tarheel
quote:
Originally posted by comet66
On the M20 engine I have found several starters that have a lot of wear on the nose bearing. The oilite bearing wears and allows enough side play to prevent full engagement of the drive gear with the ring gear.
I believe your on the right track. Thanks for the input.