Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is there a right way, wrong way, or no way

AC_B-1Novice

Is there a right way, wrong way, or no way to speed up the turning of my roto-tiller on my B1? It seems to not spin fast enought to really break up the ground the way I want it to. Are there any problems I might cause by doing that?

Are you using an 8 or 10" drive pulley on the transmission? The manual for the tiller says that it might take several progressively deeper passes to get it the way you'd want. Just got my B110 set up with a 10" tranny pulley and after 2 passes on some unworked grass it was perfect to about 7" deep. A hi/lo would be nicer, but I'll take what I can get. I'm working on a plan to switch the 6.5 vs 10 fast, just haven't worked too hard at it yet. B110guy

Switching to a smaller drive pulley on the tiller will increase the RPMs. You'll need to figure the ratio between the pulley on the tractor and the existing pulley on the tiller, then multiply that by the rpms that the pulley on the tractor spins to figure our how many rpms the existing tiller drive pulley runs at. Do the same thing with the smaller pulley to figure out how many rpms it would run at. You would, of course, also need a smaller belt if you switch to a smaller pulley. As to whether doing this would be safe, I glanced at the manual for my tiller and did not see anything saying a maximum rpm speed for the tiller. It might be there, I just didn't see it. You might want to look up the specs on the tiller bearings to see if they specify a max rpm rate, and be sure not to go to a tiller drive pulley that's small enough that the rpms would exceed that. As for other potential safety issues, it would of course be able to sling rocks, etc, further if it's running faster. I'm sure others will be along shortly to point out some other safety concerns that I haven't thought of.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll have to go out and measure my pulleys so I know where to begin and also to see which would be the eaiest to replace. It may take a while right now. Larry

Switching the drive pulley for the tractor is the easiest. The difference is that switching that one slows the tractor down and leaves the tiller speed the same. The method I described, which I don't really recommend but assumed is what you were asking for, speeds up the tiller and leaves the tractor speed unaffected.

You more than likely have the 6" pulley on transmission. Which is to fast to till. These tillers work great at the speed they designed them to operate. More than likely a ground speed issue as stated above. You can get a 8" or 10" pulley from an AG store cheap. The best priced ones are the ones that you have to weld the hub in them. Around here they are around $20.00 bucks. The 10" will allow it to creep along real slow.

I get a much better results from making multiple passes with any tiller I use. This helps reduce the ground speed issue.

I put a smaller pulley on my tiller a few years ago(don't remember what size it is)It does seem to work well that way.I do have a hydro on it so I can slow it down to a creep. Bob

I concur with all but swapping the pulley on the tiller to increase the tiller rotational speed. 8" or 10" low speed pulleys are your best bet and as also stated, the easiest way to get the desired results. Download the manual for your model of tiller and all you need to know will be in there.

I measured the pulleys and the big one on the tractor is 8" with a pulley beside it that is 4 1/2 inches. The one on the tiller measures 5 1/2 inches. With this information, are there any suggestions as to what size would be best to use and replace and in which location in order to speed up the tiller without slowing down the tractor?

You're really better off slowing Dow the tractor than speeding up the tiller. That's why switching to a larger tractor drive pulley to slow the tractor is discussed in the tiller manual, rather than Simplicity simply designed the tiller to run faster. As I said, speeding up the tiller is possible, but I don't recommend it. I'm sure the engineers designed the tiller to operate at the factory set speed, and not faster, for a reason; such as to keep fron breaking off tines, wearing out the tiller bearings, etc.

You can get an 8" pulley or 10" pulley from Phoenix MFG or McMaster Carr. If memory serves me correctly their in the $25-$30 range. I bought an 8" pulley to slow down my landlord for mowing and it works great. I am told the 10" would be optimal for tilling and snow removal.

Just put a 10" on mine. I don't think an 8 would be slow enough. Even a 10" is faster than a hi/lo. Not sure I'd want to go hit unworked lawn with a 10" and the tiller. B110guy

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
Mine has the 8 inch on the tractor now. The tiller itself has the 5 1/2 pulley on it.
It sounds like you measured the big pulley on the pto rather than the tractor drive pulley. If you're sitting in the seat, the tractor drive pulley's on the right side and on the transmission. It's likely a 6" pulley, unless someone changed it. If so, swapping to an 8" or 10" will slow the tractor down. This is all shown and explained in the tiller manual, which you can download.

Sorry for the mistake and thanks for pointing that out as I'm sure you are correct. Live and learn on this site, that is what I like aobut it. larry

Larry: Here's a link to the manual for the 32" tillers. It explains on Page 3 how to swap out the 6" drive pulley for an 8" to slow the tractor down: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/tiller1/32_rotary_tiller.htm There's also a thread in either "common questions" or the "tech tips" (I can't recall which, but think it's "tech tips") entitled "slow me down pulley" that discusses the subject. Sorry that I couldn't provide that info before, but I couldn't copy and paste the link from my phone.