Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ebay Item

shovelhead

Can anybody tell from pictures and video what engine is in this tractor? Its not a 23. This is only 50 miles from me and thought I might go take a look. Thanks,.. Dennis (shovelhead) [url][/url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200740621111&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I'd say late model 10 HP, not a 243431 series. Engine isn't tall enough for older engines and the govn. control is like the late model engine, and this engine had an oil alert too.

Hey Kenny.....Apparently, it's the new gas tank. Why it's not using the original (which is shown on one of the guys other videos) is beyond me, because the original looks "ok." I used to see those tanks on Rat Rods at the car shows and were radiator overflow tanks. As for the value....as always....insert standard answer here ______________ "What ever someone is willing to pay for it" Me? I wouldn't give a squirt of ether for it. But that's me..lol. I prefer unmolested machines. On the cool factor scale....I give it a 6. Too heavy a muffler to not be braced to the engine, which isn't original or even close. It's got a nice paint job and the ever popular tractor show bench seat (nicely done) and the addition of the chrome fire extinguisher and auxiliary gas tank could be used on your next hot rod project. Also....if you watch the video, when he puts it in reverse, something is binding and he hits the clutch to keep from stalling the engine. OR...The exhaust valve is already burned up from no back pressure due to the ricer/tuner idiot can muffler and the engine simply has no power to keep the tractor rolling under its own power. Big red flag, unless you plan to put a vintage Briggs in its place.

That engine is a newer I'm guessing 80s aluminum block engine. It appears to be about a 10hp. Like stated above the engine is way shorter than a cast iron block would be. Also the carb is different and the exhaust manifold bolts into the block which is typical on an aluminum engine. I saw this on ebay and could tell right off the bat something was odd because the tin on the engine is more square. I'm very interested in this though because I didn't think it would be easy to repower with one of these engines. I don't think they ever had a flywheel that a driveshaft could bolt to.

Actually the flywheels are more cross compatible than sometimes thought. When repowering, some engines that were made for general use had mounts made into the flywheel that simply had to be tapped out to accomodate an individual application. It is definitely an 80s-90s generator series engine, I even see the kill switch mounted on the head end of the blow shroud.

I was thinking if a guy could buy it for less than 6 that it would make a good tractor to make a show tractor out of. The paint and decals looked good. Thought that I could drop in a early 12hp briggs, put on a original seat and some wide front tires & rims. It is also close. Of course the BGB and trans would have to check out also. But it would still be a major investment even though I have a engine and seat. I may get up early and take a look tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Dennis (shovelhead) :D