Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Got my garden in.

larry8200
Man I really hated tearing up my lawn !!! But i'm passed that now. It ended up about 20 x 40 with a LOT of room to grow. It was moderatlely rough half hour with the moldboard, which turned up some serious roots and one rock. The first time over with the roto-tiller was a ROUGH ride, but the second pass it was coming into it. Took 20 minuites with the plow and an hour with the rototiller. Some roots had to stop, back up, raise the plow a little and continue Hoping to till in some aged manure this week, then I'll have 4-5 weeks before a final tilling and planting late in May. Haven't planned the plants yet, but corn tomatos and peppers to start. maybe broccoli, some squash... But at least half corn. Maybe set up a stll and make ethanol out of it! HAHA

RickS
Hey Larry, I know were you can get some aged horse Manure and a grader blade all in one stop!:D Maybe the drive is a bit long for the manure or grader blade seprately, but if you combined the trip maybe it would be worth it. If nothing else it would be the most expensive horse manure you have ever gotten for free. (No charge the manure, but the gas, miles, and time would add to the cost.:O Rick........

timflury
Nice work Larry. Just remember to till both ways to reduce the "hump" below grade. You gotta till north and south, as well as east and west. I broke sod for a customer last year and the plowing and tilling times you mention are pretty much spot on.dOddOd

larry8200
well thats almost dead on east-west so tilling it east-west will be no problem, but north-south... well, I guess gardens should be square and with plenty of open space all around, in a perfect world!!! And I reverse direction every pass with the roto-tiller. Going to try to do that with the moldboard too.

Sign in to follow this