Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wonder Boy 3008 new owner...comments?

myersbw

Hi, I stumbled across this site on a search for info for my new mower. After researching the parts-tree & crossing the model to Simplicity's manual site...I think what I have is a Wonder Boy 3008, 8hp, 30" cut, 3-speed, electric start mower. I'm trying to figure out the year that model started/ended. But, I picked this up for $200...it was regularly serviced...works fine. I think I've found a source for some really worn deck rollers...(really the only pressing need that I see). What I'm searching for are images...anyone have pics of these that they can share? If this thing is really as old as I'm guessing it might be...looks a WHOLE lot better than some that are 15 years newer! Also, it seems to have the pipes bolted to the rear for the grass catcher. I've been told that the mower was designed that you can grab the front and raise it up vertically for some deck service. Is that true? Interesting that the gas cap is positioned in such a place that it really seems to make sense. But, I see no reference to that in any online manual I've found. Overall, I think I'm going to have some fun with this. Thanks in advance for any comments! And, nice to be here...cool place to visit! ~Brad

Hi, According to simpletractors.com "made when" charts, the Wonderboy 3008-3 was made in 1975 and 1976. Manufacturing number is 1690012 if you want to find the manual. Hope this helps. Steve

Hi again, Just looked for the manuals from the site search on home page and there are no results for this mfg. number. I do have a file that has repair info for all rear engine mowers, and the 1690012 is in there. If you would like a copy of it, pm me or email me with your email address and I can send it to you. It is a big file! Steve

That was it, Steve. I would've never guessed this was that old. The only thing I needed to do was pick up a couple deck rollers @ $8/each...in stock at a local dealer. Popped them on, added air to the tires and cut my postage stamp lot in 5-10 minutes. I asked my wife how old she thought this mower was..."2004?"....older..."2000??"...keep going..."1994???!!!" (which is my son's birthday)...so, when I actually told her that it was a mid-70's mower she was a bit perplexed that , 1, it looked as good as it did and, 2, that I'd actually pay $200 for a mower that old. Well, after I'd mowed the lawn with it...and it looked better than it ever did...she changed her thinking. ;) Best purchase I'd ever made! And, nice site here, folks!

If you ever have problems you will fing the answers here and usually quite fast. This is a very active site and everyone would like to see pictures of your find. (We all love pictures) The guys and gals here are always ready to join in and help on matters that can be solved on these old tractors. GREAT FIND. And welcome to the site.

Yes, I've noticed it's quite an active board! :) I've got an ever present heel issue (Dr pending), but as soon as I get back out to ride that mower..I'll snap & post some pics. I'm finding myself amazed that the metal on this mower is as good as it is for a '70's product. (It is for sure a Wonder Boy 808). It must have had the original deck wheels on it. One was tapered to the point that the inner side was worn down to the shaft. So much wear that I was doubtful the replacement rollers were correct until I popped them on. :O Cheers! Brad