Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 410 Kwik-Way Loader Restoration...DONE, I think

GLPointon

I have had some slow starts before...but this is a winner Before I could go too far with the Loader sub-frame fab work I needed to hook up my 50amp stick welder, but my garage/shop only had a 240v/30amp service. So I've spent the last 2 weeks planning and running a new 100amp service to my shop with a new breaker box and wired dedicated circuits for the Arc & Mig welders, Air compressor, Table saw, Drill press, (beer fridge) etc...

I have planned to mount the sub-frame to brackets I made to fit where the snowblowers mounts go on the 300-400 series

The heavy cross piece (on the floor) is what will support the "upright posts" on the loader. I have all the steel parts designed & cut. As soon as I can start welding things should move fairly KWIK...sm01 More to come...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GLPointon

• sammiefish

• Talntedmrgreen

• huffy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some more fab mock-up... I will start welding tomarrow and mount the loader asap

I can finally do some heavy stick welding. Here's my new electrical panel and welder hook-ups

More to come...

Certainly looks like you have it figured out! Project is coming along nicely. I'm looking for some time to run bigger amps to the garage myself...my projects are all on hold until then B)

I love the new welder, I spent most of the day welding the sub-frame. I really want to give it a paint job but I think I better get it on & working first.

I made a rear hitch to weld on the back of the sub-frame so I can still pull a trailer or whatever with the loader on...

I found I can't mount the pump under the BGB pulley (wrong rotation) so I think my only choice is on the front, maybe on the mule drive like Mack's Kwik-way. also need to find a small resivoir to fit under. More to come...

Thanks Josh, I hope mine will look half as nice as your loader does sm01
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
Certainly looks like you have it figured out! Project is coming along nicely. I'm looking for some time to run bigger amps to the garage myself...my projects are all on hold until then B)

It's nice when you can do all the welding/fab work in your own garage. I'm looking to have my service upgraded to support an arc welder as well. Right now my entire house is set up with 10 amp breakers. Just won't cut it... Nice fab work, by the way. Looks good so far. If you haven't guessed I'm jealous of the shop set-up.

Looks great!! Im still figuring out how to proceed on the front hanger approach. Your Lincoln is the same one my dad has.... bought it 30 or so years ago... works great... just used it yesterday.

Thanks Chris, do you have a hydraulic tank yet? I think I want to mount mine below on the sub-frame...I think? 'Greg

Your frame is really looking great! I have a tank but I'm nowhere near ready to worry about that yet but still don't have a good idea of where to put it... I'm quite interested in what you come up with for yours.

I decided to mount the pump to the sub-frame at the same location a mower deck would be so it can be driven with a belt from the front PTO & mule drive. (I saw this in a J-Deere/Kwik-way manual)

I made a Rock Gaurd to bolt on to protect the pump since it hangs 2 inches below the frame

Bolted the crossmember with long bolts and lg. bolts in the L-brackets for added support.

I said I would wait to paint this, but I was hoping not to remove this Sub-Frame again, so hopefully now once its on, it can stay on...

More to come...

Startin to really shine now! Inspiring....I would like to fab a custom FEL for the 3212. I'll keep watchin!

I had a very productive weekend. I got the Sub-frame mounted and the pump is at the perfect location to be driven by the front PTO & mule drive. I just need a 2" shorter belt.

I made a "stiffener" to mount the "diagonal supports" to the tractor frame.

I had to drill out the lower hole larger for the brace bolt. (this is the only hole I had to drill in this tractor on the whole project)

That about completes the "mounting"...Next I have to tackle the Hydraulics... Wish me luck (it looks leaky?)

wow, great progress!! There is a post by powerking one that describes placing thrust bearings at the base of the spindle which decreases turning resistance and protects the spindle base from galling. Phandad has also described this and calls it Poormans power steering. I have done this to my 310 and will do it to my others as I get to that location.... you might like to look at the posts if you haven't already. It is in the Technical Tips & Articles section and is titled: Axel & wheel spindle mods on Big Tens' family http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=147&LinkName=Front%20Axle%20&%20Spindle%20Upgrades&CatID=42&CatTitle=Front&URL= It might help to steer with the added front weight...

Thanks Chris, That is a great idea, I'm ordering the bearings/washers/etc now...Thank you sm01
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
wow, great progress!! There is a post by powerking one that describes placing thrust bearings at the base of the spindle which decreases turning resistance and protects the spindle base from galling. Phandad has also described this and calls it Poormans power steering. I have done this to my 310 and will do it to my others as I get to that location.... you might like to look at the posts if you haven't already. It is in the Technical Tips & Articles section and is titled: Axel & wheel spindle mods on Big Tens' family http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=147&LinkName=Front%20Axle%20&%20Spindle%20Upgrades&CatID=42&CatTitle=Front&URL= It might help to steer with the added front weight...

Super nice Greg---I love your projects man! Nice fab work too!! So are you stick welding vs. MIG, TIG or wire?

Thanks Steve, I'm using all Stick welds for this heavy stuff. My little Mig wont handle it.sm01
quote:
Originally posted by Steve72
Super nice Greg---I love your projects man! Nice fab work too!! So are you stick welding vs. MIG, TIG or wire?

Greg: The next time I need something welded on that 2012 I'm redoing, I'm going to ship it off to you. Your welding and fab work is top notch, and that loader project's looking great! I'm jealous, too, that you got your new power hooked up. I still haven't gotten around to hiring someone to re-wire my garage, so my electric compressor and welder are just sitting there collecting dust and I'm having to use the gas ones. Boy are those things loud.

I'm still having trouble finding a tank to use for hydraulic fluid. I want to mount it on the sub-frame in front of rear tires. That means it would be a cylindrical tank only 4 or 5" dia. but up to 2' long. I was thinking of a 4" steel pipe 18" long with ends welded on and 2 ports and a filler spout welded on??? But I still wont have a filter...dzsm008 ? any IDEAS???