Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
steve-wis

electronic question

steve-wis
My B206E has a 6 hp briggs with an alternator. I believe the alternator is 4 amps, would this be correct? My question is if this setup will support a set of headlights. Most I have seen are 55 watts each. If I remember right, 4 amps X 12 volts would be 48 watts, not enough for headlights. Sure would like to put a set on it tho. Any info or advice is, as always, appreciated! Steve

steve-wis

The first pic is the wires that hook to the recoil shroud. The second is of the starter motor, the third is the wires of the ignition switch, which are the two cables that go to the battery and the starter, a white wire with a fuse, and the ground wire for shutting down. Steve

BLT
Steve this is the circuit used on later Broadmoors, 5008-10 and the AC side powered the lights and brightness changes with RPM and your current magnets should be sufficient to do the job. I'd almost bet a pop that Bear has some of those windings laying around. http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_212.htm

GrincheyOne
Steve and Bob, There are 7 varieties of armatures for my I/C 12HP on the 4212LTG; according to the IPL, they run all the way up to 16 AMP. The bulbs in my light units are GE 9 Watt, and these rise and fall in intensity with engine speed. What? You don't enjoy an early summer evening of "mowing by caldle light? Love to install a couple of halogen replacements. I just can't wait 'til I get around to installing the electric lift kit! B)

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by GrincheyOne
Steve and Bob, There are 7 varieties of armatures for my I/C 12HP on the 4212LTG; according to the IPL, they run all the way up to 16 AMP. The bulbs in my light units are GE 9 Watt, and these rise and fall in intensity with engine speed. What? You don't enjoy an early summer evening of "mowing by caldle light? Love to install a couple of halogen replacements. I just can't wait 'til I get around to installing the electric lift kit! B)
Wayne, I believe there are two different armatures (flywheels)and it has to do with the amount of magnets packed each one. The most common riding lawn mower circuit for Briggs is the dual circuit http://recoveryvehicles.tpub.com/TM-5-4240-501-14P/css/TM-5-4240-501-14P_215.htm and that has the least amount of magnets. I have never been able to find that info, but it exixsts somewhere. Steve should be fine with that.

D-17_Dave
The AC voltage loop will run the lights more efficiently but(take less HP from engine), but will lower in brightness at anything less than full throttle. IMO less than desirible. Most AC equiped engines only have the 2 wires coming from the armature. In the picture above the engine has 4 wires coming into the regulator then one wire out of that to the battery. This makes it at least a 7.5 amp system, maybe more. It shows all the systems in the old repair manual, mines in the shop so I can't reference it at the moment. If multiple light combinations are your goal then remember, they are doing wonderful things with LEDS for light now. A little more pricey but they work and last a long time.