Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Fuel shutoff installed; oil still smells like gas

OrangeMetalGuy
On my 712H, I installed a fuel shutoff valve and am careful to always close it when I shut the tractor down. But the oil still smells of gas. Is there something else I should do to ensure no fuel gets into the oil?

Blazerjeepman3
When I had that problem I always ran the engine for a couple minutes after fuel is cut off to use up some of the fuel in the carb bowl .Seems to help with fuel drips and any that may. get in the oil. When you go to start it again cut fuel on for a minute or so and then start engine. I cured fuek drips by using the correct needle valves and seats on carb rebuilds

HubbardRA
Some of the one cylinder Kohlers have fuel pumps and some do not. If the bottom of your fuel tank is above the carb, you do not need a pump. If the carb is above the bottom of the tank, then you will run out of fuel with gas still in the tank. I have one that runs out of fuel with about 1 1/2 inches of gasoline in the tank because I removed a malfunctioning fuel pump and hooked the line directly to the carb. I never did go back and replace the fuel pump.

OrangeMetalGuy
Hi Rod! This is in a standard 712 so the bottom of the tank is about even with the carb. I don't run this one much and can keep the oil changed frequently but I'd like to be able to leave it sit and not worry about fuel migration. I could be totally off-base here it just smells of gas that's all.

HubbardRA
My 716 did not have a fuel pump when I got it. I don't know if your 712 has one or not. I have a B/S in my 716 now. The one that has the Kohler is my 61 Wards which now has a 14 Hp Kohler in it instead of the original 7 Hp B/S. That is the one with the carb higher than the bottom of the tank.

babablacksheep
Hi. That's an AC712H and they all came with Kohler K301 engines. Unless it has been repowered with a Briggs, it has a fuel pump. Just follow the fuel line from the tank and you will find it on the lower left hand side of the block. These pumps are powered by a lever that goes through the side of the block and is actuated by a cam. They have an internal diaphram and can leak fuel into the oil pan if there is a pinhole or it isn't seated properly. It's an easy repair, disconnect and plug the fuel line, two bolts, and pull it out. Goes back the same way but be sure you inspect the old gasket and replace if necessary or you will have an oil leak. The pump can be dismantled for inspection and cleaning (they do clog) but make sure you have located a new one in case you mess it up. Good luck.