Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Made a sleeve hitch for the 6212.5/18...added pics

lampoulos

I've been dying to try my hand at operating a single-bottom plow and have some ideas for some other implements so it only makes sense that I put together a sleeve hitch for my old-reliable 6212.5. My style is not "pretty", but strong and functional. I've heard it described before as guarilla fabricating. So I don't want to hear any comments on the welds....sm06 I don't have any way of cutting material other then a saws-all and a grinder but here's the peices before welding

and here's the almost-finished product. I still want to clean it up a bit before painting. I just couldn't help but give it a test fit to take a couple pictures.

I know it's not really nice looking, but it turned out very well. Things are wet locally today so when things dry out I'll give it a try in the dirt. Wish me luck.

You're style looks a lot like mine! You're limitations on tools sounds just like mine too! ;) I like what you got going...would LOVE a video when it sees some action. Not familiar in the leat with the 6000's.

if u could replicate a few of those there are a ton of guys with the 6000/5000 series that would kill for those...when i had my 6216/24 i weighted it down and used the[img]/club2//attach/UCD/censored1.gif[/img]out it..it just had a lot of limitations on the implement end of it...just thought i'd let u know!!!!and it looks great!:D

I agree there are some limitations, but only in availability. Granted I would never try to put a loader on this tractor, but so far this machine has been able to surprise me when I need it to perform heavier work beyond moving the lawn and blowing snow. I've adapted a belly grader blade to it and have used the dozer blade for moving fill dirt around my yard with great success. I am a bit hesitent about the receiving hitch mounted on the tractor (oem design). In my mind it'll be the first thing to break when pulling the plow. The only reason I'm willing to try it is because I've seen pictures of other guys doing it, and turning out well. We'll find out in a couple days.

Craig, I have an Allis 810GT, same as a 6010 Simplicity and I love the way it works. I run a snowblower, mower, tiller, front blade, and soon will pull a plow as well. Lots of guys think these tractors are light duty, but I have had no problem with mine. I just bought a sleeve hitch mount on ebay, the half that bolts to the tractor, so am getting close to being able to mount the plow. Do you plan to hang weight on the front? I am thinking it will be needed, but just a guess. Good luck, have fun! Your design and build will work just fine! Steve

Steve, you bought the hitch I was drooling over! Mine is homemade, but NOS would have been nice. Kudos! I have a front weight for the front of mine that I put together from an old loader bucket tilt link that works well. But could use more
[img]/club2/attach/lampoulos/Tiller1.JPG[/img]
It kept the fron end of my tractor down during the maiden voyage with the 10" plow. That is until I caught a root with it. That sent the front end up in the air until it hit the inside of the lift rod. Lets just say I remedied that problem pretty quickly.sm06

I turned this up last week when it was wet and forgot to take pictures so I made sure to remember this time. Enjoy.

Broke it up with the 10" plow then switched it over to the tiller and chopped it all up. I'll let it dry out for now then I'll pack it down and level it off. Good time in the tractor seat.

Very nice. Guess I have more to think about for using my 6216. But for now the snow blower stays on till I find a tiller or plow. Very nice job Craig. Does the lift arm also attach to the front weight? Looks like you have enough tractor for all your jobs.

your hitch and welds look fine. i know what you mean by limted on tools :D. but something does not look right in the plow setup. you should be turning over deeper furrows. and by sinking that plow in the ground and really working the tractor will require tire chains or AG's. i know nothing about your model tractor or it's limitations, but may be a little to light duty for plowing. on my old FDT's i have had them snort'in and grunt'in pulling a plow thru the ground. even had the front wheels come up a time or two digging in. your 2210 will definitely be your go to work horse when you get it home . you will have a nice setup. garden plow on the FDT and tiller on the 6212 ;).

Lookin good Craig! Plow probably needs a bit of adjustment, but that comes with seat time too. You will have to look me up when you're on the west side. It will give me an excuse to clean up the garage and basement...I can't even walk through there right now }:) If you're interested in any more goodies, we can probably find you some steel to take home with your 2210!

Lookin' good Craig. "Farmer fabrication" never has to look good, just function well. Like Josh said, fine adjustments will be needed on the plow. I've always preached that small adjustments be made, and made one at a time... "sneak up" on the best settings. You'll notice what needs to be changed when you plow in different areas and conditions. If my 10hp Landlord has no trouble pulling my plow, then your 12.5 should do just fine at plow days, and in your own back yard. I'm actually surprised to see how well naked turf tires performed. You've got plenty of weight on there too.dOddOd Steve, I've found front weights the most helpful when turning with the heavy rear implements in the raised position. Oh, yeah, the front weight DOES save the arm after a lot of pulling on the handle.

I'll admit that I'm new to the 10" plow so I'm still learning proper adjustment. Between the lift link that I fashioned up limiting the depth of the plow along with the adjustment of the pitch of the moldboard, I'm having a hard time dialing it in. Not to mention the short run that I have. I have an 18 hp b&s in this tractor as a replacement for the 12.5 and haven't been able to make it snort yet. That's kind of what I was hoping to do with this plow. Maybe once I get it set up properly. Seems like I spin the tires before the engine slows down. You all know what that means....;) It'll be really fun when I get a sleeve hitch going on the 2210 to pull the plow. I have that and a set of ag's and tri-ribb's in mind for it. The 6212.5 will problably stick with the tiller and lawn duty......we'll see. I think it'd be cool to show up to a plow day event with both just because there's not too many guys pulling a moldboard with a 6200 I haven't been able to do a lift assist with the front weight yet, but I have some ideas on how to make it work. Josh, I'll have a 10' trailer in tow while I'm out there so there'll be plenty of room for what you might convince me to take along...:p

I haven't heard of anyone "hanging" the plow. Your depth adjustment will control the depth of the plow just fine. The plow will "float" through the soil. I use the float setting on my hydrolift while pulling the plow. Again, one depth setting will work until you go to a different plot and plow there. The depth setting will be the most used adjustment on the plow. Also, ground speed will affect the plow depth. It looks like you have the plow hitched in the correct hole for the wheel spacing. And with the big engine on there, that tractor will never snort under normal conditions. Do you have a Brinly manual for the plow??? It will show you settings needed to get you in the ballpark.