Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bell

CO2 poisoning?

Recommended Posts

Bell
Howdy, I've got a basket case AC 712 I've been mowing with and trying to bring back to life. It , some of whick comes from the breather, all of which I assume meansbut I meed new rings/cylinder job. Anyway I've been trying to keep it limping along enough to mow this year so I can rebuild this winter but I've been noticing I have these days where my chest is sore and I just feel crappy. At first I was confused as to what was going on but it just hit me. I think I'm waking up feling that way on the mornings after I mow the evening before. Could my tractor be poisoning me? If so what can i do to make it safe to use on a budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike
I got gassed years ago installing underground plumbing in an enclosed apartment building basement by the diesel bobcat, whenever I get near diesel fumes I instantly feel ill, nothing to mess with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AC_B-1Novice
If you meant CO which is the symbol for Carbon Monoxide note that it is an accumulative poison that builds up in the blood stream and the body has a hard time getting rid of it. Don't take chances; follow the advice given by those above to protect yourself. Larry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MysTiK
If you are burning oil, and breathing that smoke, and yes, there would be also exhaust gases with that - these are all products of incomplete combustion. Lots of stuff that just is not good to breathe - of course. But if you are mowing in a cloud of smoke, visible or not, then, yes, that will affect how you feel. Simple solution would be to mow on days that are relatively windy, i.e. blowing the exhaust away. You said you mow in the evenings - round here, the air is pretty calm often, in the evenings. One thing to check is that the exhaust pipe on the 712 is fitting in the hole in the side of the hood properly - if it isn't, under the hood will show black soot accumulation. Once you are sensitized to this stuff, it's worse. You might also consider your overall environment - do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house? It's possible there could be a source of CO in the house somewhere??? This could also relate to other factors such as general health, stress, diet, nutritional deficiencies, smoking, alcohol, etc., or possible immune system generally low - making you more sensitive because perhaps you are close to the edge before taking on mowing, etc. This is a call to take notice of what's really happening with you and/or your tractor. I hope this is not insulting. You are getting warning symptoms, and possibly worse. I used to get headaches a lot when younger - esp. sinus headaches, coupled with light sensitivity, perhaps low blood sugar. Then I learned stuff about nutrition and eating to build the immune system. Also, other personals can be in play; such as emotional health. The thing is to get out of a toxic environment when it's first noticed; or fix it. It could be a lot of things as well as exhaust. A lot of people are running around with low energy, low immune system, high stress, and have no tools to deal with stuff - and society generally has no effective solutions. Going off the beaten path is the only way for some folks - like me. I tend to think society is simply insane - and there's no real interest in that often - and no real interest in genuine healthy living, combining nutrition, exercise, emotional health, spiritual health, etc. It gets personal fast. If you think your tractor is poisoning you, then let the grass grow, or hire it out, or get a new mower, or a reel type push - whatever it takes, deal with it, before it deals with you. This is just me babbling away here. I am no doctor. I have very little info to work with - and yes, this is really hard work. Go for a walk; in a clean air park, etc. How does that feel? There's potentially a lot of factors in play here. I would also recommend relaxation "exercise" - just try doing nothing - actually don't even try. You can get help; but only you can fix it. Like many things, the info you want or need is available - go get it. One way or another, this can be life changing. And a bottle of pharmacological lalala is not it. There are better options; esp. w recurring symptoms - those are warnings. If you are close to a low threshold, then it doesn't take much to take you down into worse states. My 2 cents - value accordingly. No intent to insult you here. Just ideas. Bottom line, I don't know - but you might. Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×