Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
eugenedrago

Update on 1962 Simplicity NEED HELP!

eugenedrago
I want to start by thanking you all again for your input and suggestions on my tractor issues. While I am waiting for the new coil and condenser I have gathered some new info. As usual it started right up this morning and ran great through the range of idle to full throttle for about 5 min or so. I want to add that she does blow quite a bit of smoke on throttle up after being at idle for a bit, even though I have the carb as lean as she likes on both the low and high end. In other words I believe she is not loading up on the low end. So after she got her usual cold and became all kinds off sick acting after several moments of running, I did a immediate compression check while she was still hot. I get 110 psi hot. I did another compression ck after she cooled down and get 70 psi. That seems to be a rather large range. Yet it runs best while it's "cold" or not fully up to temp. I am thinking that it's time to bite the bullet and pull the motor and do a complete rebuild. I did work the exhaust valve (thanks Zippo)and it seems to be free. I believe also that the compression test verifies this as it's 110 psi when she becomes sick and the engine is up to temp. When she dies on throttle up I still see that the points are "firing" the whole time. Hmmm.... Maybe the coil and condenser are OK after all. Does anybody have any further thoughts here on this? What about the range from 70 psi cold to 110 psi after running some? Is this normal or does it set off any alarms? Thank you all again for your time and effort here. Gene.

toomanytractors
The next time the engine dies, pull the plug wire and and put a screwdriver on the end of the wire and hold it a short distance away from a ground, like the head and check for spark. This should tell you if it is an ignition problem or fuel trouble or something else?? And, welcome to the club!! You have a great looking little tractor--having owned a bunch of them over the years the oldies are still my favorites.

ka9bxg
Still think it is the coil. I have a lot of those engines here and there are none that I have not had to change the coil on.After the replacment they ran much better. Change the coil first and see how it runs.The new coil will not help with the smoking problem .

dentwizz
Smoking in spite of adjustment is usually oil from worn rings or valve guides. Been there plenty of times. The change in compression confirms almost definitively that you have a valve clearance issue. It would not change to less compression when warm otherwise, regardless of coil condition. Beauty of checking the valve clearance is they have a spec for when it is cold. If it is at the reject clearance, no mysteries.