Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sliderxc

Kohler problems

BLT
The key generally shears from a sudden impact, like catching a surveyors stake, well casing etc(done thatwah). Now was the piston loose or seized? What does the rod journal look like? Were you operating at high angles. You need to beat some of those demons down to make an educated guess.

maxtorman1234
Hey, personally I've never seen a sheared flywheel key or anything like that on any kohler engine, i've seen a few issues that cause broken rods , Most I have come across have been run low on oil, overheated, over revv, rod bolts came loose, or if a recent rebuild improper tolerances or connecting rod installed backwards. And as mentioned excessive angles will cause issues as well. There are more causes as well, but that is what i've come across. Is there aluminum smeared on the crank, or did it break and leave the crank clean? How long have you been using this engine?

sliderxc
quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
Hey, personally I've never seen a sheared flywheel key or anything like that on any kohler engine, i've seen a few issues that cause broken rods , Most I have come across have been run low on oil, overheated, over revv, rod bolts came loose, or if a recent rebuild improper tolerances or connecting rod installed backwards. And as mentioned excessive angles will cause issues as well. There are more causes as well, but that is what i've come across. Is there aluminum smeared on the crank, or did it break and leave the crank clean? How long have you been using this engine?
there is a mark on the rod journal and a slight mark on the crank it did break the rod where the bolts hold on the bottom part of the rod as for running I bought it as a parts tractor but its in such great shape I am going to restore it and I will have another a new toy

sliderxc
quote:
Originally posted by BLT
The key generally shears from a sudden impact, like catching a surveyors stake, well casing etc(done thatwah). Now was the piston loose or seized? What does the rod journal look like? Were you operating at high angles. You need to beat some of those demons down to make an educated guess.
piston goes up and down smooth as silk inner part of rod journal is scored rod journal on crank is slightly marked

BLT
My guess is that rod snapped for whatever reason part of it got lodged in block, seizing crank for a bit, shearing key, and then making smaller parts. I have heard that Kohler rods don't stand up as well as Briggs, only hearsay.

maxtorman1234
Hey, If the crank doesn't look too bad, chances are the engine was running too fast, or more likely, if it does have the old rod with the old bolts, they are very sensitive and strip easily. This design was changed with the "posi-lock" rods, utilizing a bolt and nut instead. These rods are pretty much indestructible if regular maintenance is done. If you're lucky, that crank will clean up with muratic acid, and you can then mic it. If it's minimum 1.499, with no taper, it's usable again. The rod must be installed with the oil hole facing the crank.

sliderxc
thanks for all the info since I have a full machine shop at my disposal I will just rebuild it with the good stuff if I have to I can cut the crank .10 and get an oversize rod looks like a Rebore is in store also I just never seen a rod break like that even in motors with heavy nitrous use Ive see them slightly bent but never broke like that