Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Doh!

huffy

I went to pull the axle and differential from my 2012 LL tonight so I can clean it up as part of my referb. Went to pull the left hub off so that I could slide the axle through. To do so I removed both of the set screws. When I took out the set screw that sits down into the hole in the axle, I just threw it into a cannister with a bunch of other bolts I'm going to replace and didn't really look at it closely. Thus, I did not notice that about 3/8" of the end of the bolt had somehow broken off and was still seated way down in there, locking the hub onto the axle. Put my puller on the hub, and cranked on my wrench about 3 turns. It was pulling tough, but moving a little, and I didn't really think anything was wrong. Went to give the wrench a 4th turn and CRACK! A chunk of the hub broke off right over the set screw hole.

Dumb mistake on my part, I guess. The worst part is that I was making fairly good progress on getting this old tractor back in shape. This is gonna slow me down while I hunt down a new hub, and I'll likely have to wait a week or so for it to get shipped to me. Not that I don't have 100+ other things on the tractor to work on while I wait, but I really hate it when I'm rolling along on something and then have to completely shift gears. Oh well.

Oh man, that sucks.wahwahwah But really, have you had these apart before and knew in the back of your head that you might run into this problem again?? I might have done the same thing you did.

Those set screws break quite often and that's what happens when you apply a bit of stress on cast iron. BTW I have extra hubs if your interested! I'll also add that amongst my spare transmissiions there is one with a set screw that is broken just as yours is, ended up pulling the axle from the right side and putting a replacement in.:OB)

Actually, this is my first time taking one apart. I guess why I'm kicking myself is that I should have realized that I was having to turn too hard on the wrench and stopped for a second to look at things and see if I could figure out why, instead of thinking the solution was to muscle through it.

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
Actually, this is my first time taking one apart. I guess why I'm kicking myself is that I should have realized that I was having to turn too hard on the wrench and stopped for a second to look at things and see if I could figure out why, instead of thinking the solution was to muscle through it.
Oh yes, well said, accurately expressed, and your humility is commendable. I did exactly the same DETERMINED mindset and busted and messed up stuff, actually a few times8) when I was LEARNING how to work on deck spindles. I know the feeling. Time for Plan B. And the view afforded through the WISDOM of HINDSIGHT = wow.B) You are not alone. And yes, I beat myself up also; and that did not help me either. :D The thing with me was I was so ashamed and embarrassed, and the situation was so impossible to describe, that I could not even fess up to my error - so I couldn't even talk about it. Still can't. And now it's all a blur. I just tell people that some force might be required sometimes; but excessive force? stop. do a reality check. and proceed with caution. I call myself "armchair mechanic" for really good reasons. Thanx for sharing. I think I just learned a lot about working on rear ends - I have never gone there, but I always read such threads. You are not the first, and won't be the last. :D

Same here! When something breaks for me, it's usually because I decided to give it one more turn before checking it out. :O Chris, I'll try to pop my hub loose this evening, and it's yours if it comes off in less than 2 pieces ;) I left the puller right on it, and the set screws came out easy and complete. ...Then, after I ship it off to ya, I can buy one of Reed's, because that will be the first time I will need one! 8)

Josh: Since you're having trouble getting it off and I'd have to buy you a replacement anyway, just leave it on there and I'll buy one from Reed. I really didn't want you to go out of your way to get me one. When I asked last night it was just because you're the closest one to me so it could get here the quickest, and I thought maybe you had a spare one lying in your pile of extra parts - I certainly did not intend for you to go out in the middle of the night and start tearing down a tractor. (I do very much appreciate it, though!) And I really don't want you spending more time tonight messing with it. So don't worry about the hub and spend the evening relaxing with your wife (or polishing your Big Ten, whichever you prefer). I owe you one.

OK...she's destined for the scrap heap. It's on a busted up tranny, and I never really considered pulling it off before now. I'll give it a shot anyway, and it might be in the parts pile under the workbench for the next time you need one &:)

Josh: I didn't know it was on a busted up tranny. I assumed it wasn't since you said in your last post that after you pulled it and sent it up to me you were gonna order one from Reed to replace it. If that's the case, and you're going to pull it off anyway, send it on up and shoot me a PM or Paypal request for what I owe you for the hub, shipping, and services rendered and I'll getcha paid asap. BTW, I'll need to buy the set screws too . . . since I broke mine :D

Thanks for all your effort Josh! btw, guys, my luck didn't change tonight. I dropped a metal plate right onto a can of spray paint and busted it wide open, coating me and a 1/4 of the garage in Allis Chalmers Orange. Spent about 45 minutes cleaning that up and threw in the towel for the night. It ain't easy being cheesy.

i leave the left side hub alone and slide the axle out the left side. not too bad takeing the diff off. and most the time the left hubs dont budge. been there done that. what really is a drag is when the left hub is all loose and wobbly and still will not come off. i have two good spare axle's with hubs on them standing in the corner just for this reason.

This is only a the small portion of the mess that was left after I'd already scrubbed the paint off of the door, the floor, me, and several tools. I guess the moral of the story is not to store your paint in a plastic box directly underneath your vise and then open the vise jaws and drop a 20 or so lb metal plate on it. :D