Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
huffy

2012 make over - finally got my seat

huffy
quote:
Starting a newly rebuilt engine is one of the coolest things a guy can do...
I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it actually starts . . . .

huffy
Finished assembling my engine last night . . .

And then dropped it back into the tractor;

Hopefully I'll be able to get the dash tower back in and everything wired up so that I can test run it tomorrow - that is, if it starts . . . .

bnolte
Excellent work so far.

GLPointon
Nice job Chris... I think I just bought the Allis Chalmers version of your tractor. Its a B12 with: hydro lift, Hi-Lo, OEM Headlights, etc... It will be my oldest resto...hope it turns out as good as yours dOd

huffy
Greg: what a coincidence . . . you're just finishing a loader and about to start on a fdt resto, and I'm nearing the finish of my fdt reso and about to start working on a loader. I hope my loader project comes out as well as yours did. And I'm sure I'll be on here asking you questions about hydraulics soon enough.

huffy
I intended to spend a lot of time on this project over the weekend but, dash the luck, I got side tracked playing volleyball at the beach and going boating. It was terrrible. Just awful. :D Anyway, I did manage to get just enough of the wiring done that I could try starting the newly overhauled engine. And - praise Him - it fired right up with the first push of the button. I was so amazed that I actually started dancing. I cannot believe how well it runs.

The only downside to the experience was that the heat from the exhaust ruined the paint on the stack muffler I'd just installed. Rustoleum is lying through their teeth by stating that their high heat grill paint can withstand up to 1200 degrees. Oh well, I guess I'll have to try to come up with something else.

GrincheyOne
Looking GR8 Chris. The DIY red battery cable stands out! Ready for the Parade? Perhaps the Rustolium High Heat Silver Metallic would hold up to the heat better? Part #7716830 Cheers, Wayne

huffy
I got my electrical problems solved and took her out for the maiden voyage yesterday afternoon. WOW, what a difference! The newly rebuilt engine runs like a dream, and man does it have a ton more power now that it's been bored out. It'll pop a wheelie and darn near flip itself over on top of you if you're not careful to throttle down when switching gears. I might add some weight to the front to be extra careful. Also, I switched to the narrower rims in the front (thanks, Josh). That, coupled with tri ribs and the thrust bearing mod really makes steering a lot easier. And, the replacement eccentric pin (thanks again, Josh), the new bearings, and the fix I did to my steering gear really tightens up the front end. No more steering slop at all. I'll try to get some updated pics as soon as I can. Basically, aside from getting my seat covered and adding some decals I'm done. Hopefully I'll get those two tasks knocked off in the coming weeks. Then I've got to decide which attachment I want to refurbish first - the mowing deck, the sickel mower, the tiller, or the front end loader. It would probably be more practical to start with the mowing deck, but something in me really wants to get started on that loader.

simple-kid
That looks great!!!dOd Nice job on the restoration.

Talntedmrgreen
Feels purdy darn good, huh? :D Can't wait for the glamour shots! Nice work Chris...wait till you're pulling hard with a plow in tow. Nothin quite like it ;)

bud119195
What are you going to do for a seat? That plywood looks like it might be a little rough.on the :|| Otherwise colors look good together and you did a fine jobdOdsm01

huffy
I've got to take the seat to the upholstry shop to get it covered. I just haven't had time yet. It's hard for me to get such things done since a lot of places are only open when I have to be at work. It'll be the same as the B series seat like on Josh's tractor (TalntedMrGreen) shown above, only gray and black instead of white and black.

huffy
Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on this project much at all during the past few weeks. Been having to spend a lot of time out of town. But, here's where we're at:

It took me quite a while to get the mid PTO adjusted properly. I swear that thing was designed just to give me fits. You can see the cooler beside the tractor, which is what I sat on for about 6 hours (an hour here and there when I was in town) trying to figure that infernal thing out and get it working right. I also ended up having to take the hydro lift cylinder back out to fix a leak (note all the oil under the tractor). Seems I didn't get one of the new seals in just right and had to replace it - again. But, it's fixed now. I'm still waiting on my seat to come back from the upholsterer's, and I still have to order a few custom-made decals. I'd have had that done if I hadn't had to put everything on hold to go out of town, but oh well. I'm also still debating what to do with the rear tires. I can't decide whether I want to get one set of 8" AG's, or go with dual 6" AG's. I think I'm gonna go with dual 6ers, but need to find a second set of 6" rims. I'm sure I'll run across some eventually.

JohnMBerst
Looking good. Color scheme is coming together. Look forward to your "final" (is there really ever a final) end product. sm01sm01

Talntedmrgreen
I've always loved the dual 6" look ;)

huffy
quote:
Originally posted by JohnMBerst
Look forward to your "final" (is there really ever a final) end product. sm01sm01
I'm beginning to think this project will never end. Just haven't had enough time to work on it lately. Besides, I'm starting to think that you're never really "done" with a project like this - you simply get to a point where you just decide to stop working on it.

GrincheyOne
Did You make it to the TC parade? Or did you do the beach and it's benefits? Wayne

huffy
Missed the parade. Maybe next year.

GrincheyOne
Maybe next year you can mount a gas grill on the FEL, and sell bratwurst as you go down the street! LOL W

huffy
This project's kind of taken a back seat to my B10 loader project, and both have taken a back seat to some other stuff, but I finally got around to bolting the new seat on last night:

Still haven't gotten my custom decals yet. I'll get around to that some day. I'm also still waiting on the new seals that I ordered for the rear axle. They've been on backorder for nearly a month, but hopefully they'll get here soon.

DaveTenney
Wow! Looks great Chris....

jsarro
Chris you did a real nice job on this tractor, what a difference! What duty will you put this one on? dOddOd

JohnMBerst
Very nice look! Enjoyed your build and thanks for sharing.

GrincheyOne
Looking good Chris, Is that the "business class" seat, you built the frame for? It looks very comfortable. Good luck with the FEL project!, I am currently concentrating on getting the blades spinning on my weed cutter. Just got he eight new bearings in from VXB yesterday. Wayne

GLPointon
Chris that is a real work-of-art! Looks great, nice mechanical skills, and the colors paid off big time. Congrats dOddOd

Sign in to follow this