Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Toys

D-17_Dave

I've had a soft spot for the more odd AC things for awhile now. I seem to migrate to odd stuff, I guess it's some loose screw I have. Here's my latest project, it's the 4HP high wheeled model walk behind mower.

I looked for several years for this model mower with no luck, I stumbled across this one purely by accident in a scrap pile while picking up a HB212 about 7 or 8 years ago. I found a stuck valve and some water damage so after all this time sitting on my shelf waiting it's turn I gave the carb. a rebuild and a new fuel tank, a new set of rings and an intake valve. Starts on the first pull and you can't here the belt driven blade run at all. Smooth as ever. Some freshening up of the paint and a throttle cable and it should be ready for hopefully another 40 years. This next pic shows more of my collection, 5K generator, a self propelled mower which is next on my list for a mechanical make over, my current push/trim mower, and a couple of HAHN 4HP tillers. These tillers are the twins to the models that were sold through AC dealers around 1969/1970. I have 4 AC models like these but they are in use still with me and my Dad at the garden spot just up the road so are not pictured here.

IMHO nothing does as good a job as these tillers and mowers and are built better than anything I have ever used or seen. Anyway, hope you all enjoy these pics as much as I enjoy having them in my collection.

Pretty neat stuff! I've noticed and enjoyed seeing some off the oddball AC items lately here and there. Thanks for sharing!

Very cool 8D I know thats perfectly balanced, easy to manuver I didn't know AC made a push mower...Belt driven, Wow!

HAHN made the tillers and the walk behind mowers of this vintage. Engine placement for balance and low deck height for mowing under fences and other obsticles as well as close to things was a big sell point. Also with the belt driven blade if an obsticle were found it wouldn't bend the engine crank. Very well designed and built stuff. I'm not sure who built the later model stuff or when Hahn stopped supplying their products, but, I'm glad they did even if for a short time.

Cool collection. Those odd pieces attract my attention too (to look at cause the wife says I'm outgrowing my space). Thx for sharing

The bagger model is fairly worn but I've been useing it for several years now. I have a good bag for it also but never use it. Likely will dry rot before I use it. Now all I need is to find a stack of NLA NOS blades for a couple of them. Sharpened and used the new model today but the blade is badly worn. Time to look up the model # and call Brenda......

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Cool stuff Dave. Do any to the push mowers make stripes?
Only from dragging my feet Marty..... Since they are as old as I am I feel lucky that I can get any parts at all for them. Engine parts for these 4HP engines are scarce, parts for the mower part of them are non-existent. Kind of like parts for me.....