Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow repair -- Help a chick out!

TractorChic

So thanks to the set-up help I got here, I was sailing along and slicing the dirt and turning it over until my hitch piece thingy snapped off. IT was rusted on the inside of the crack. I took it off to take it down to the welder, and I'm putting it back together and wondering: To float or not to float?? You can see in the photos how the piece moves up and down. When I was using the plow, it was tightened and would not give AT ALL. Now I'm wondering if I should leave it loosened a bit so this can move freely up and down during use -- or whether leaving this loose would just lead to another trip to the welder later. What do you think, fellas? I hope I described the problem OK. "Hitch piece thingy" is a technical term.
[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/292216_10100753233700544_12314130_53374935_1951604420_n.jpg[/img]

That is one of the adjustments to get the plow set to a particular tractor. I don't think you could plow at all with it loose, the plow point would tip down and just continue to go deeper and deeper. You need to run it tight. As for your broken part. Likely someone at some point hit things very hard and cracked it. Over time it got worse and broke. If it is a decent weld, I don't think you will ever break it again. I have never seen one of those broke before. JMO Dan

needs to be tight. and set your adjustments to the manual like before. the lift lever/hydro lift needs to be in the float position. i think you should be ok now after the repair. like dan said, prevouse abuse and was just waiting to break . now get back in the dirt and have fun with it :D. i LOVE plowing gardens with these old tractors.

"Hitch thingy" is probably as good a tek term as any. That's a "one point hitch" often better known or referred to as a "sleeve hitch". I went to a lot of trouble to find one of those, by listing wanted ads. Even people that had them didn't know what they were called. And I needed the (manual) rear lift and cable assembly also. I even had pix in my wanted ad, and people didn't understand at all. One guy finally responded and just said "I have what you want". sold. When I bought my tractor it was really just a barebones tractor, and I couldn't do anything except putts around the yard. So I became obsessed with enhancing my potential to acquire and use many attachments; hence I bought the sleeve hitch. Still don't have any use for it; but I see attachments for sleeve hitch that I can at least consider buying. But don't ask me why they call it a 'sleeve' hitch, or even a 'one point' hitch. These 'tekky terms' aren't all they're cracked up to be. (pun not intended). I solved my "barebones tractor" problem by buying a parts tractor with a bunch of attachments. Now I have no room in my garage. 8D Tractors are just non-stop fun, huh. sm03 I would love to try plowing someday. Good luck with it.

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
don't ask me why they call it a 'sleeve' hitch
I think they call it a sleeve hitch because of the sleeve that you slide the pin through to hold the attachment. But, regardless, I agree that "hitch thingy" sounds better. "Connector thing-a-ma-bob," "attachment do-hicky," "plow what-cha-ma-callit," and "that-piece-of-bent-metal-thingy that connects that to that" are also perfectly acceptable phrases for that particular component, in my humble opinion. I mean, these are called "simple" tractors, so I see no need to utilize arcane terminology to describe their components.

You guys are awesome! I fixed it and was plowing away again, happily ... and then ... disaster. My depth adjustment rod just bent in half like a ... well ... like something that bends very easily. I didn't feel a thing, just happened to look back and BOOM. My dad is going to kill me. I hope you're not reading this Steve 72!! This is what mine used to look like ... now just imagine the threaded depth rod that looks like a crazy straw :'( :'( http://www.simpletractors.com/Walkers/10_plow.htm Now to figure out why this happened and how to fix it and prevent it from happening again ... SIGH.

quote:
Originally posted by TractorChic
My dad is going to kill me.
No he won't. IMHO this was completely his fault. He's the one that designed your tractor with that massive 16hp engine and then hooked that little plow that was made for a walk-behind tractor to it. At least, that's how you should put it when you tell him. sm06 My guess is that you hit a rock or a root. Don't worry, it can be fixed.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s320x320/525670_10100755230578784_12314130_53376281_1356370573_n.jpg[/img]
Sigh. Do you think he'll notice?? The coulter was lined up with the share when we started plowing, so I'm guessing it just bit into something and bent the whole assembly back?? I looked back to see the plow skipping along.

Hmmm..... never seen one like that! Well not from my garden leastways, a little fire wrench and a vice ought to be able to straighten that out reasonbly well. Not to worry we've all done stuff like that. My first tractor did a roll once, sadly that one's still on shelf duty! I second the rock or root theory, must had good traction to bend it like that!:D

quote:
Originally posted by huffy
[quote]massive 16hp engine
I feel like I'm driving a monster truck. Feels like it will just pull till it rips its own wheels off half the time. 8D Of course, I'm used to driving a Sears lawn tractor that spins its wheels if there is a little dew on the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
Hmmm..... never seen one like that!
Why does everyone keep saying that about my photos? hahaha ;)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by huffy
[quote]massive 16hp engine
I feel like I'm driving a monster truck. Feels like it will just pull till it rips its own wheels off half the time. 8D
Mines only got a 12hp, and it'll pop a wheelie in 3rd gear even though I likely weigh nearly 3 times what you do. And yours has 1/3 more power, so it's a beast. You can just heat that up and bend it back straight. It likely ruined the threads right where the bend is, so you won't have as much adjustment, but it'll probably be okay since it was adjusted how you want it before. Of course, it'll bend back pretty easily from memory if you slam full bore into a big rock again, so after bending it back you may need to sleeve it with a piece of pipe to strengthen it up again. And avoid the rocks!

quote:
Why does everyone keep saying that about my photos? hahaha ;)
Well one of the best ways that I know to join a conversation, break the ice if will, is to create a little laughter, a light tone in an otherwise semi-serious discussion, "laugh and the world laughs with you" is another quote I like. In all of my years, more toward middle age and young at heart, than youthful now, there still is always something that I have not seen before and while I know all things are possible in this universe I still have to fall back on that line "never seen that before"! Back to the problem at hand so to speak while it may seem as the end of a good day plowing, it also serves as something to learn by, if I could remember and relate all of my experiences where I have destroyed, mangled or otherwise destructed many fine masterpieces of machinery the book would be lengthy indeed though each and every incident has provided insight that adds to the total life experience! LOL Thanks for providing that "something that I've never seen before" today. I am quite confident your dad will have it repaired in no time!:D

I need to hire a good rock collector. Although I never found the culprit. I suppose no one would believe that I was plowing in 1st gear, would they? 0:)

quote:
I need to hire a good rock collector. Although I never found the culprit. I suppose no one would believe that I was plowing in 1st gear, would they? 0:)
You don't hire rock collectors, you MARRY them! }:)

TC, Just tell good old Dad, that it works better now, that you don't/can't mess with the adjustment. Graham, Our vocabulary came from the Brits, and I agree we sometimes push it to extremes! Just imagine that the hitch rod on the plow,tiller, or grader-blade is an "arm", Thence the tube it slips into could be considered a "sleeve". OR a "thingie" :o):o):o) Then, there is always the often tried and true "That #$%^& Thing!"

Talk about tractor safety, and abuse! Did anyone really pay attention to the latest ads on the Telly for JD. I am referring to the goof who was speeding through his tilling, caught onto something, and lifted the front end well off the ground (no front counter weights of course).

I have had a hard time with hitches - I wasn't able to get my head around them for quite some time. But I stared at enough pix and eventually things made some sense. I absorbed enough SH pix that I eventually just recognized it. So it's a sleeve, or a one-point - altho the "one-point" descript just seems like a non-descript, since most hitches could be called one-point. 3PH three point hitch is the only thing that really makes any sense right from the start. As for the Brits, well a lot of stuff comes from that - I discovered most of it is generally "dysfunctional", which is another fun word to play with, until you discover that the prefix "dYs" comes from Latin (I think) meaning "hard or difficult". Most of that Brit culture does function, altho in a hard or difficult manner - and it's the people exposed to it that suffer - and are so used to it, they don't even know they are being driven insane. But that's kinda far from hitches, which is somewhat removed from plow. So, I will just pin this right here. 8)8D:Dsm01sm03 TC you should break more things and make more threads cos you are fun. But what's really fun is that everybody is starting to talk like me - omg we're in trouble now. sm00 Maybe I am the only one to notice this, or imagine it - hmmm not sure. go huffy go. Oh, btw, Steve 72 won't mind, cos he gets to not only save the day; but also be in the limelight. hey. Cheers. I'm going to be very quiet now, cos I am shooting my mouth off. 8) BTW what do they call those little plates that sometimes get stuffed into SH's, I think they are optional to firm up the hitching. They probably call them "little plate thingeez", o yeh. I don't have any of those - yet. thx for a good time, all out.

quote:
Originally posted by MysTiK
BTW what do they call those little plates that sometimes get stuffed into SH's, I think they are optional to firm up the hitching. They probably call them "little plate thingeez", o yeh. I don't have any of those - yet.
According to this diagram that UCD provided, they're called called stabilizer plates (though I like little plate thingeez better), and are still available if you want one. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=68734 I've never ordered one, cauz I figure I'd just lose it; kind of like I lose my hitch pins every time I take an attachment off. Generally I have to go to TSC and get a new one, and then a couple days later end up finding the one I "lost" stuck in the pocket on the back of the tractor seat and all of a sudden remember that I specifically put it there so I wouldn't lose it. :Q

Thanx, huffy. That's it exactly. Stabilizer plate thingeez. Pocket on tractor seat? That's an interesting concept. I doubt it's a simp part - Levi's maybe? 8D I was just thinking about small backpack idea couple days ago. Kinda like the toolbox idea. Seems I often want to carry small objects with me; and pants pockets can get emptied sometimes. You get your paint under control? - that incident really killed that thread - like, what could anybody say after that? omg.... Is TractorChic ok? or did we hijack the thread? hope not.

This isn't the exact replacement for your pretzel adjustment rod, but just shows that they can be found if one does a little searching. Best of luck TC! I hope you get it worked out! http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRINLY-BREAKING-PLOW-ADJUSTMENT-SCREW-ASSEMBLY-CUB-DEERE-SLEEVE-HITCH-/110863673212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cffd677c

I'm here ... just absorbing all the chatter. :) Delivered the plow and pretzel rod back to Steve72. He hasn't offered to kill me yet, and is coming up with plans to make a new rod down at the shop. PHEW! Turns out a 3/4-inch steel rod can turn into a 1/2-inch rod real quick with poor threading. Still, everyone, myself included, is confused about how this could happen without popping the front end of the tractor up or something. Maybe my observational skills need massive improvments? :( Anyway, I'm here in Ashland, checking out his other implements, wondering what I can borrow and return mangled next ... this garden is getting a little expensive ... for dad!! :)
quote:
Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen You don't hire rock collectors, you MARRY them!
In my case, I think I'll have to incubate them for about 9 months and grow them to toddler stage! :) Thanks for all your insight and help, guys! I posted similar questions on Facebook and got back blank stares ... hehehe

There's a few of us that occaisionally hang out and post into the Allis-Chalmers/ Simplicity garden tractors group on Facebook, though it may be hard to beat the club as far a knowledge pool. :D